- Full Time
KTXL is looking for a News Producer responsible for producing newscasts in an assigned daypart by executing the vision and mission of the shows and day to day news coverage decisions. This position will be responsible for stacking newscasts, determining placement and treatment of stories, writing for the newscast and reviewing scripts for accuracy and writing style. The producer will work directly with the assignment desk on daily content and logistics decisions in coordination with news management.
The producer will participate in the editorial meetings by identifying important local content and angles of coverage, assist in decisions on separating content and differentiating stories in the newscasts, looking for opportunities to get the best and freshest content into a newscast and driving new content into the shows.
The producer handles breaking news in a newscast, pushes for fresh content, creates compelling newscasts and has excellent news judgment.
- Produce newscast(s) in assigned daypart, deciding on story placement, treatment and ensuring new content makes its way into the newscasts
- Write and produce news stories for daily newscasts that are consistently factual, accurate, compelling and easy to understand
- Produce daily newscast, meet all deadlines prior to air, produce opens and graphics elements
- Fills in on other newscasts as needed
- Submits story ideas daily and work aggressively to increase traffic on web and mobile platforms
- Contributes recommendations on daily story coverage and special assignments
- Copy edits news stories by reporters and writers
- Evaluate news leads and pitch unique stories that will get results and drive ratings; participate in the editorial process
- Cover breaking news with a sense of urgency
- Produce content for Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 2 - 5 years of producing experience with degree in journalism or related field
- Proven track record of owning breaking news and weather coverage
- Creative and strong writer with sharp news judgment
- Must understand social media and how to tell stories on multiple platforms
- Must be flexible to work different shifts throughout the year
- Ability to work under extreme pressure and deadline
#TBMBCompany InfoTribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting's 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching approximately 50 million households, national entertainment cable network WGN America, whose reach is more than 77 million households, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 54 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago's WGN-AM, the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV, and Covers Media Group, an unrivaled source of online sports betting information. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% interest in Television Food Network, G.P., which operates Food Network and Cooking Channel.