Media Relations & Public Awareness Manager
- Full Time
Department: Public Relations & Communications
Supervisor Title: Director of Public Relations & Communications
Status: Full-time, Regular
Nature of the Position: Manages ASLA’s external public relations and communication efforts to raise the visibility of the profession and association using print, electronic, and online media.
- Creates and implements public awareness and media relations strategies to support ASLA strategic priorities and programs such as World Landscape Architecture Month, ASLA’s awards and honors, ASLA leadership, ASLA’s annual conference, public policy and issue priorities, the promotion of landscape architecture and the role of landscape architects, and other ongoing public awareness campaigns. Works with other ASLA staff and departments to advance membership, advocacy, marketing, or educational goals. Manages inbound media inquiries and coordinates appropriate response. Monitors media coverage performing supplemental online searches as needed and compiles regular reports/analyses.
- Plans and maintains news release calendar, coordinating with department director, marketing manager, and other staff as appropriate. Coordinates awareness activities jointly with web and social media staff.
- Manages and implements aggressive media relations activities, including writing and distributing news releases and actively pitching ASLA’s leadership, organizational programs, and issue priorities to traditional and new media outlets.
- Writes, pitches, and distributes letters to the editor, op-eds, blog posts, and articles on behalf of ASLA management and elected leadership. Assists in placing existing ASLA-generated content in external media and online outlets.
- In coordination with the government affairs staff, responsible for planning comprehensive long-term issue advocacy campaigns and creating supporting material, including press releases, social media posts, blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, video scripts, and other communications vehicles.
- Provide ongoing media relations support for day-to-day federal and state government affairs activities, including statements by ASLA leadership, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other advocacy communications vehicles.
- Responsible for developing and implementing public awareness campaigns surrounding key long-term ASLA priorities and projects, including climate change and resilience, the bicentennial of the birth of Frederick Law Olmsted, and others.
- Works with ASLA’s management and elected leadership on scripts, presentations, and talking points for media and public interaction. Establishes relationships with ASLA experts/speakers, including professional award and medal winners, and develops and maintains experts/speakers list. Develops and maintains media lists and establishes relationships with reporters, editors, critics, producers, and commentators to advance ASLA’s public awareness mission. Monitors media across all platforms for references to ASLA, landscape architects, landscape architecture, and/or high-priority issues within the built and natural environments. Actively seeks opportunities to leverage national and local interests in ASLA-related subjects.
- Provides outreach to allied organizations to build support and visibility for World Landscape Architecture Month, PARK(ing) Day, and other ASLA programs.
- Serves as managing editor of LAND, the Society’s bi-weekly electronic newsletter.
- Must develop a broad knowledge of the landscape architecture profession and ASLA programs, goals, and priorities.
- Works in partnership with department supervisor and other ASLA staff and volunteers to advance the Society’s mission, strategic objectives, and priority issues.
- Upholds the ASLA values and culture. Adheres to the ASLA policy on Standards and Conduct and all other administrative and management policies.
- Supports departmental and ASLA-wide planning, performance monitoring, and performance improvement processes and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: BA degree in journalism, English, communications, or related field.
Skills: Knowledge of issues, institutions, and individuals related to landscape architecture, landscape architects, and the built and natural environments strongly preferred. Must demonstrate superior writing skills, and the ability to produce under tight deadline pressure. Must have established track record of media placements and successful public outreach and awareness campaigns. Must have experience in and understanding of all current media relations and public communication techniques and platforms, including traditional, online, and social media. Must have excellent organizational skills, good judgment, and attention to detail. Ability to balance heavy workload with short- and long-term project deadlines, address changing priorities, and work well under pressure required. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications; experience with online media-relations tools, image editing / visual storytelling, content management systems, and basic html strongly preferred. Experience with policy advocacy communication desired.
Experience: Minimum eight years’ experience in public relations, marketing, media, media relations, advocacy communication, or related field.“Collaboration is at the heart of our work; our operations are transparent and our atmosphere is healthy and fun”
Richard Winston III
ASLA Human Resources Manager
Competitive compensation and benefits package included. ASLA is a conscious leader and employer that values the work-life balance of staff through many inclusive wellness initiatives and professional development programs.“The quality of life the benefits and work culture provides. My colleagues are also hardworking and wonderful people.”
ASLA Chapter Relations and Membership Marketing Manager
The American Society of Landscape Architects is the national professional association for landscape architects, representing more than 15,000 members in 49 professional chapters and 82 student chapters. The Society has a staff of 50 and annual revenues of $12.9 million. Landscape architects plan livable communities that foster active lifestyles, design green streets that manage stormwater runoff, plan cutting-edge transportation corridors that are safe for all users, and help communities prepare for and recover from natural disasters. Landscape architecture includes both iconic and neighborhood places, including commercial developments, streetscapes, green roofs, parks, civic spaces, memorials, and residential communities. The Society’s mission is to advance landscape architecture through advocacy, communication, education, and fellowship.
ASLA offers an attractive, competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and life insurance; a generous 401(k) plan; a comprehensive wellness program; and flexible schedules.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter, resume, a list of three professional references and a writing sample as a part of our standard application process. Please reference “Media Relations & Public Awareness Manager” in the subject line of the e-mail and tell us how you learned about the career opportunity.
Apply for Media Relations & Public Awareness Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly