- Full Time
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, offices in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America’s understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR’s more than 5,000 members are the leading scholars and practitioners in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues. CFR is host to the widest possible range of views, but an advocate of none.
The Publications Department is responsible for editing and producing CFR’s reports, such as Task Force reports, Council Special Reports, and other papers, as well as the Annual Report, About CFR brochure, and a quarterly enewsletter. The department also ensures the consistency of style across CFR and its website. The Associate Editor will work closely with the Publications team and others as needed.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Editing CFR reports and other CFR material
- Editing CFR interactives and working with Editorial Director to guide CFR’s digital editing strategy
- Ensuring CFR style consistency across all editorial products, including in print and on the website
- Creating and updating publication pages, bios, and callouts on CFR.org
- Assisting with production for print products
- Coordinating with freelance designers and printers
- Providing editorial assistance and training to CFR staff as needed
- Maintaining digital partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong concentration in English or international affairs
- 3+ years of related editorial and administrative experience in a deadline-driven environment; book production or web publishing experience a plus
- Superb editing skills, knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style, and an interest in a career in publishing
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word and Excel
- Knowledge of desktop and digital publishing programs and HTML preferred
- A flexible, positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to independently balance multiple projects
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.