DIGITAL ENGAGEMENT & CONTENT DIRECTOR
- Full Time
The Digital Engagement and Content Director drives growth in engagement and audience across digital and social media platforms, including content discoverability and generation, and audience analysis. This role reports directly to the executive director, and supervises staff in content development and production. The Academy of American Poets, founded in 1934, is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting poets and promoting poetry. The organization produces Poets.org, Poem-a-Day, award-winning digital resources for teachers, and launched and serves as the online information hub for National Poetry Month.
Defines and refines digital, content, and social media strategy for the organization, in close cooperation and collaboration with the executive director, based on analytics, including examining real-time and historical data patterns, and news and trends. Manage the implementation of these strategies.
- Drive a best-in-class user experience across all of the organization’s digital and social media platforms to engage and activate poets, readers, and educators.
- Grow traffic to Poets.org, subscribers to the organization’s digital publications and resources, and followers on social media platforms.
- Manage web developers and oversee improving functionality, maintenance, SEO, and UX, and the roll-out and testing of new online and social media features.
- Monitor and report weekly on content performance, suggesting plans to address opportunities, trends, and challenges.
- Collect, analyze, and regularly share feedback from users with executive director and others as appropriate to refine requirements and prioritize features and content.
- Ensure the success of email efforts, which include Poem-a-Day, an Academy of American Poets and an Educator newsletter, and Teach This Poem, to ensure subscriber retention and growth, and high open and click-through rates, including messaging, A/B testing, and surveying.
- Collaborate with fundraising and membership staff to ensure digital content and technology supports cross-departmental goals.
- Stay on top of trends and emerging technology as they relate to digital publishing and distribution, and social media.
- Oversee, on a high level, the editorial quality, production, and distribution of all digital content on Poets.org and related editorial products, including Poem-a-Day and other weekly and monthly newsletters.
- Write/top edit content and assign online content features and projects, as needed, ensuring that tone and voice is consistent across all platforms.
- Leverage content from live events and print membership magazine on digital and social platforms.
- Manage content partnership program— small press journals with whom we co-publish poems.
- Manage Google AdWords consultant.
- 5 - 10 years of proven experience in digital content development, marketing, and engagement, and web development.
- Direct experience in a cross-functional role with proven success working with content and technical teams, and consultants.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple priorities.
- Analytical and results driven.
- Demonstrated success translating analytics into insightful and actionable reports and plans.
- Demonstrated experience with and passion for social media.
- Experience supervising a team of content producers.
- Knowledge and love of poetry—contemporary and historical.
The Academy of American Poets does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.