- Full Time
The Photojournalist is an experienced video photographer who excels at storytelling through outstanding visuals and audio and is able to provide strong live coverage. They should have the skills to occasionally perform duties of a Multi-Media Journalist (MMJ). They should have creative skills, technical knowledge and experience using broadcast photographer equipment. The ideal applicant will also have broadcast writing skills and presentation skills. Photojournalists should use social media platforms fluently and have a solid understanding of streaming technologies. They must also be able to embrace other technologies as they develop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Provides strong live coverage.
• Excels at storytelling through outstanding visuals and audio.
• Possesses accomplished skills in News Photography, lighting, audio and remote broadcast concepts.
• Maintains proficient non-linear video editing skills.
• Understands a story's focus, pursuing outstanding visuals and sound in order to tell the story.
• Uses social media platforms fluently and in accordance with KIRO procedures and strategy.
• Have a strong understanding of streaming technologies as they apply to streaming back live video from the field.
• Post story updates to social media platforms are they develop stories.
• Embraces digital technologies as they develop.
• Write and MMJ for broadcast and/or digital. MMJ duties include shooting, editing, writing, and voicing a story.
• Supports the KIRO Mission and Values Statements and to represent KIRO in a highly professional manner.
• Collaborates with other KIRO employees in a professional, positive and helpful manner so as to ensure an efficient workflow.
• Is accountable for assigned equipment and its state of readiness.
• Operates KIRO’s remote broadcast equipment, including, but not limited to, ENG vans, microwave systems and satellite uplinks.
• Is conversant with nationally recognized standards for photojournalistic ethics.
• Strives for self-improvement through professional and personal training.
• Maintains knowledge of regional geography and current events and people in the news.
• Maintains a basic understanding of Newsroom computer systems and KIRO voice mail and data systems.
• Alerts KIRO News Director regarding any news coverage or situation that may cause problems for KIRO legally, corporately or in the community.
• Consistently displays professional conduct and dress, adhering to KIRO standards.
• Attends all training sessions as requested.
• Completes specific tasks as requested by the News Operations Manager or other news manager.
• Maintains a valid Washington State driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Has the skills of a journalist: the ability to ask pertinent questions and to act independently when necessary and appropriate.
• Creative skills, technical knowledge and experience using broadcast photography equipment.
• Proficient at shooting, editing, and using ENG transmission equipment.
• Experience with Avid Media Composer and Newscutter preferred.
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively as a member of a reporter/photographer team under deadline pressure.
• Strong communication skills.
• Skills as a Multi Media Journalist or MMJ: Have the ability to shoot, edit, write, and voice a story.
• Broadcast writing skills and presentation skills.
• Ability to present self-generated stories in live and edited video formats.
• High familiarity with social media platforms and how these platforms are used in a newsroom environment.
• Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License, in good standing, is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 3 years of television newscast experience as a photographer on daily news gathering assignment in the field with and without a reporter
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-WA-Seattle-2807 3rd Ave
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing