- Full Time
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online journal, seeks a Production Coordinator (www.thenation.com) to ensure the production and delivery of print ready and digital versions of our publication according to a tight schedule. The Production Coordinator will work closely with the IT/Production Manager in assisting the Editorial, Design, and Advertising teams in meeting our weekly and biweekly deadlines for print and the web.
- Updating all layouts, and placement of text for each issue, generating PDFs for the Copy Department and final PDFs for upload to the printer.
- Maintaining, updating, and distributing the production map for each print issue.
- Tracking all print ads for each issue, update stakeholders with status of all ads in each issue. Working with the Design Director, and Literary Editor, and Managing Editor to ensure proper space is allotted for editorial and ad content.
- Processing all artwork for the print issue to ensure high quality output.
- Final Approval of PDFs on printer website.
- Producing the digital version of our print issue using the Maz publishing system (a mix of directly using web content, and building some custom pages in a very basic web editor).
- Updating HTML email templates for various weekly email campaigns and monitoring those created by the Design Department interns.
- Designing and updating some internal house advertisements as well as some simple paid advertisements.
- Working on any other ancillary materials for print production, e.g. our yearly calendar, Legacy Donor newsletter, advertising sell sheets, and other projects as they arise.
- Maintaining the files on the Production server and archive.
- Providing support to staff for publishing related software.
- Provide backup for the web production team to produce web versions of print articles
- 3-5 years print publishing experience in production/design
- Strong Adobe InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Acrobat, and font management skills
- Knowledge of applying style sheets for print
- Excellent understanding of Mac OS in relation to graphic design for print
- Understanding of proofreading marks, typography, and basic print design needed
- Detail oriented, well organized, able to work carefully under tight deadlines and pressure
- Experience with K4 publishing system
- Basic HTML working knowledge
- Basic Wordpress knowledge
The Nation Company LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws.
Position works out of The Nation’s New York City offices and is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation Company LLC and The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.
The salary will be commensurate with experience schedule. Excellent benefits and congenial workplace.
Send your cover letter and résumé via the link provided, and please include “Production Coordinator Job” in the subject line. No phone calls or postal mail, please.
Apply for Production Coordinator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly