- Full Time
Since 2013, First Round Review has been telling the stories of incredible entrepreneurs. Now we’re looking for another teammate (based in SF, NY or remote). Get in touch by completing the application.
We believe that there is powerful, untapped knowledge out there that can transform the way people build technology companies. There’s just one problem: It’s trapped in other people’s heads — people who are at the top of their fields, who rarely have time to share what they’ve learned (even when they want to). The Review is about liberating this knowledge to inspire and accelerate action through compelling storytelling. We think of it as The Harvard Business Review meets The New Yorker.
Five years later, we’ve built an audience of hundreds of thousands of monthly readers, featured wisdom from leaders at Google, Twitter, Stripe, Slack, and Airbnb, and have become one of the most recognizable and widely-read sites in technology.
But there’s so much more to do.
That’s where you come in. The Writer will own and create stories for the First Round Review from end to end. This includes interviewing some of the highest-caliber people working in tech today, from founders and CEOs to the very best in design, product management, engineering, sales, and more. It also includes telling bold, creative stories that will help readers learn and build new things. We’re all about rich, detailed, long-form writing with heart and craftsmanship. This isn’t about content marketing, pushing First Round companies or churning out listicles. Our entire orientation is around quality.
On top of that, you’ll work with the Editor of First Round Review to tackle distribution and operational opportunities and challenges around the Review. How can we maximize our influence on social media? Make our newsletter sing? Test new formats and types of content on the Review? Or dream up entirely new projects, like State of Startups.
When you join First Round, you join a team of originals.
Doing new things and doing them first is a core value here, and it’s reflected in everything we do. As a seed-stage VC firm, we invest in companies that are at the very beginning of a long journey. Some have gone on to become Uber, Warby Parker, Blue Apron and Square. But at the start, we’re here to provide the tools, resources and community founders need to win long-term. The Review is just one example of how we’re reinventing VC every day in service of entrepreneurs.
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You call yourself a writer first and foremost when you first meet someone or you’re asked at a party. Maybe you run content for a startup, ghostwrite for an executive or write copy for a tech giant. Maybe you’ve been in journalism forever and are ready for something new. If you’ve had the written word at the center of your career for the last two to five years, you’re on the right track. We love good writing here. And we do a lot of it.
- You’re curious about people. You like asking them questions and learning what makes them tick. Either you regularly interview people as a part of your job, or conduct user testing, or teach people to do something. Asking people about themselves, how they think and work is inherently interesting to you. We want someone who can eventually walk into Twitter and feel confident interviewing the VP of engineering about scaling for mobile.
- You’re super organized. You’re a task management junkie who’s always looking for ways to become even more productive and effective. We’re working on 20 stories at any given time and aspiring to do more.
- Tech fascinates you. You don’t necessarily need deep knowledge of venture capital, but you should be willing to learn it fast. There’s a lot of jargon and terminology that gets thrown around in this business, and we want to work with someone who can hit the ground running in this respect. If you’ve written about technology before, that’s a plus. If you’re enthralled by what the future holds and how entrepreneurs are leveraging business models and finance to get us there, that’s even better.
- Steep learning curves thrill you. You already have experience and good instincts when it comes to social media, email marketing, and running experiments to build brands. Great. But we’re always trying to push the envelope — keeping our eyes fixed on new tactics, findings and recommendations.
- Just the word ‘autonomy’ makes you happy. While the Writer role will report to the Editor of the Review, we’re really looking for a self-starter who can handle projects from start to finish on their own and contribute fresh ideas to strengthen not just First Round Review but the whole team. Everyone here is in it together when it comes to building a company we’re excited to work at. You’d be a major player.
Are you interested? Apply and we’ll be in touch (or share the link with every amazing storyteller you know).
Apply for Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly