Business Development Associate
- Full Time
Work independently and as part of the business development team to vet prospective author and publisher projects. Evaluate genre, writing, author/spokesperson background, publishing timeline, publicity and marketing goals, and marketing budget, among other factors. Consult with prospective clients, and create tailored publicity proposals for qualified candidates.
Day to day, after training, you will begin building your own book of business through assigned reactive leads (author/publisher inquiries submitted directly to Smith Publicity) and structured, proactive outreach to authors, publishers, and companies not already familiar with Smith Publicity’s services. In addition to securing new business, you will support ongoing accounts, serving as a liaison between the publicity team and clients to coordinate renewals, address contractual issues, and, in some cases, manage unsatisfied clients with the aid of the Vice President of Publicity Services.
When necessary, associate will also create content in support of the marketing team, executive team, and business development team. Additional marketing initiatives may include creating or revising existing client handouts, proposal templates, proposal preparation, creating or revising internal support documents for the business development team, and more.
- Creative and confident in shaping unique publicity proposals for authors/publishers of various genres
- Able to assert professional guidance in order to consult authors and publishers on the best timelines for initiating publicity outreach and determining service initiatives that should and should not be included in a publicity plan
- Excellent communicator to prospective clients, current clients, internal teams, and industry peers. Persuasive, clear, and direct writing and telephone skills are essential when presenting company ideals, service initiatives, publicity strategy and industry knowledge in all stages of business development. Key skills also include the ability to communicate strategy, ideas, and results with client and to internal team.
- Organized, detailed oriented, able to multitask, work independently, meet strict deadlines, have a sense of urgency for communication and possess computer/research skills.
- News and media savvy, following trends and breaking stories across print, broadcast and online media.
- Familiar with Salesforce and Wordpress
- Able to compile noteworthy details of correspondence to relay to publicity team. Will meet with publicity team at the start of each new campaign to ensure smooth transition from business development to publicity services.
- Strong writer for business development proposals and agreements and marketing content creation as assigned.
- Available to work in Cherry Hill, NJ headquarters (flexible)
Required: BA/BS in public relations, marketing, communication, English, business, publishing or related field. Ideal candidate has 2 to 4 years business development and/or marketing experience. Publishing industry knowledge a plus.
About Smith Publicity: Founded in 1997, Smith Publicity evolved from a one-person operation run from a bedroom office to one of the nation's leading book publicity agencies. The firm has conducted close to 3,000 book marketing campaigns working with individual authors and publishers. Smith Publicity clients have appeared on virtually every major radio and television program, and been featured in top magazines, newspapers and online news sites. www.smithpublicity.com