- Full Time
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is currently seeking a local digital content producer for ajc.com. This position is responsible for content that drives audience growth at the community level in metro Atlanta.
The content producer covers one or more defined coverage areas (for example, breaking news or a geographic area) and produces original news and features, aggregated content and social media to engage our audiences. The person filling this role is expected to produce multiple pieces of socially sharable content daily across a range of topics – from crime to local government to education and things to do – to distribute across our websites and social media channels
The ideal candidate displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get complete content for AJC audiences on a timetable that promotes engagement.
Experience creating content in a variety of story forms — including mobile-effective articles, video, aggregated social media posts, databases and interactives — is a plus.
Additional information for breaking news producer:
Covers urgent content for digital audiences, including breaking news, weather, traffic, crime and other news essential to know what is happening in the Atlanta metro area right now. Works closely with the breaking news team at AJC and WSB to coordinate and shape coverage with other reporters, ensuring a complete breaking digital report. Content is created and produced initially for digital audiences but some of it will be re-purposed for print. Job is based at our downtown newsroom in the WSB building. Night and weekend shifts required.
JOB DUTIES & TASKS:
• Use time effectively to frequently produce news and features stories customized for mobile, social media and emerging digital platforms. Publish 4-6 items per day, depending on level of complexity.
• Nimbly adjust to changing needs of the targeted audiences across a variety of digital platforms, including social media, search and emerging distribution channels.
• Communicate and work effectively with the public, colleagues and supervisors.
• Produce smartphone photos and videos and collect data and other information for maps, charts and other content.
• Use social media to gather information and to strategically disseminate information.
• Demonstrate research skills, including knowledge of digital search tools and techniques and of websites relevant to the story topic or beat.
• Use or learn content management and other publishing tools for the production and aggregation of content.
• Collaborate with local team colleagues and Audience content editors on advance coverage of key events for the local audience.
• Monitor websites for content that will drive audience.
• Measures and is accountable for pageview and visit targets for content he or she has created.
KEY SKILLS AND TRAITS:
• In breaking news and routine news situations, able to quickly self-publish clear, concise and accurate stories with SEO-effective headlines.
• Able to build a network of news sources and possess a range of interview skills, adaptable to the situation.
• Able to quickly produce multi-source stories without significant inaccuracies or reporting gaps.
• News judgment to recognize situations that could expose the AJC to litigation over libel, invasion of privacy, copyright or other issues and involve supervisors as appropriate.
• Strong news judgment.
• Demonstrated ability to create content to meet audience needs across platforms.
• Strong ability to organize, analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
• Strong communication skills.
• Established social media presence on various platforms preferred. Interest particularly in Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Reddit, Vine, Google+. (Candidates should supply handles for verification.)
• Experience with Adobe Analytics tools preferred.
• A self-starter who thrives in a high-change, fast-paced and experimental environment.
• Is flexible and able to effectively pivot from crime news to features to education to local government. Must be proficient in reporting across a wide range of topics.
• Collaborative; likes to work with others to achieve success.
• Detail-oriented and accurate.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Basic Photoshop and video production skills a plus.
- College degree preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, social media or related media field preferred.
- 1-5 years of experience creating content for a consumer website preferred. Ideal candidate has experience working on a community news team.
- Other newsroom journalists, sources, public officials.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-1601 W Peachtree St NE
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Evening Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing