Database and Evaluation Manager
- Full Time
We build a democracy that values racial equity, inclusive participation and public dialogue. Help us build it.
Everyday Democracy, project of the Paul J. Aicher Foundation, is a privately operating not-for-profit foundation dedicated to strengthening deliberative democracy and improving the quality of life for all people in the U.S. by addressing institutional racism and other structural inequities. We have more than a quarter-century of experience working with grass-roots organizations and public officials helping them to engage people and address critical public issues, all through a lens of racial equity. Everyday Democracy (formerly the Study Circles Resource Center) is recognized nationally as the creator of innovative tools for public engagement and problem solving. We work with partners to build and strengthen a civic infrastructure that encourages and values public participation.
Does our story intrigue you? If yes, then consider helping us enhance it by joining our unique organization. Work in an environment where you, your ideas and your success matter. We practice what we preach. Everyday Democracy values work-life balance and flexible employment conditions that support creativity as well as accomplishments. Our competitive compensation package includes 100% coverage for employee’s health benefits, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, generous vacation and leave time, participation in a non-contributory retirement plan, and participation in pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
The Database and Evaluation Manager manages the data collection operations of the organization’s database and coordinates the data evaluation activities to produce information (in the form of formal reports and documents) to help the Executive Team plan the organization’s strategy and assess the effectiveness of our programs. The incumbent must fully understand the organization’s vision of participatory democracy and be able to assist with developing data-collecting tools and survey methods to support Everyday Democracy’s dialogue to change process.
The outcomes of the position include:
- Managing all components of the information system used to collect data, which includes providing training and technical support at the data entry level, performing system maintenance and deploying software updates;
- Developing and implementing plans to analyze data and, using various software programs, evaluate the information to derive meaning and significance;
- Preparing reports, using graphic representation as well as text, to present information to Everyday Democracy’s Executive Team.
- Manages the operation of the organization’s CiviCRM database, which includes identifying options for customizing the system and optimizing its use.
- Conducts audits to review entered data, analyzes database entries for quality, and troubleshoots the collection and entry process to detect and resolve problems.
- Develops reports from the data and information available using CiviCRM.
- Trains (or retrains) staff to navigate the database system and provides real-time technical support whenever necessary.
- Deploys software updates to the CiviCRM system.
- Serves as the primary liaison with the organization’s contracted consultant for its data system.
Evaluating and reporting
- Plans and coordinates evaluation activities, which includes data collection and analysis and reporting, for all of the organization’s initiatives and projects.
- Implements the evaluation activities as directed.
- Monitors and evaluates the organization’s progress on theory of change strategies and outcomes.
- Facilitates organizational learning through an evaluation lens.
- Designs new templates and tools for data collection whenever necessary.
- Works with all organizational units to ensure compliance with documentation requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in measurement and evaluation, computer science, social science research or data management is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
Required Work Experience:
- At least five (5) years of actual work experience in the field of evaluation. Experience in database operations and management, preferably operating a CiviCRM database. Experience in working with software programs used for analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
Work experience should:
- Indicate knowledge of evaluation designs and methods, preferably involving community engagement; Show evidence of monitoring and assessing results against organizational metrics and outcomes; Show evidence of the flexibility to work within, and adapt to, a fluctuating workload and pace; Indicate the ability to provide training and technical support for people having various levels of technical skills.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of, and skill to operate, a CiviCRM database.
- Knowledge of, and advanced skills working with, quantitative and qualitative data-analysis software programs such as Nvivo, Survey Monkey, and Excel.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft® Word and other Office programs.
- High-level analytical and evaluation skills.
- Listening, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collect and analyze data, assimilate information and write/present reports.
Works in office setting.
More information about Everyday Democracy may be found at www.everyday-democracy.org.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter (which describes your suitability for the position) by email to:
Francine Nichols, Director of Administration, Everyday Democracy, via the link provided.
Everyday Democracy believes that one of the great strengths of community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age and physical ability. Everyday Democracy affirms publicly its moral and legal commitment to a policy of equal opportunity employment.