NBC Washington is looking for an interactive graphics editor
to create original maps, diagrams, charts and other creative story forms for our digital, mobile and social platforms. The interactive graphics editor will be responsible for designing and producing rich media landing pages and content for all of NBC Washington's digital platforms and a variety of our online franchises — including, but not limited to — our investigative and consumer reports, in-depth features and special event coverage. This position will also be responsible for production of other digital content as assigned.
The right candidate should be a self-starter, part geek, part artist and full of story ideas, every day. The interactive graphics editor should have excellent people skills and team orientation, and be comfortable working on an in-depth investigation of nuclear waste or the quirky viral talker story of the day. The candidate should have a sophisticated eye for visual opportunities, a strong portfolio that is full of original, beautifully designed visual stories and the drive to do ambitious work. Job DutiesPitch, design and build innovative rich media experiences to enhance our online presentationExplore new and innovative storytelling devicesBuild immersive presentations, interactives, explainers, timelines and other visual storytelling assetsCollaborate with TV reporters and producers to create information graphics to enhance their stories onlineWork with the director of integrated media to oversee all visual aspects of NBC Washington’s digital platforms, including content created by the digital staffCreate and maintain special coverage sections, series and feature pagesCommunicate with broadcast team on promotable digital content inside of newscastsProvide performance analysis to make informed decision on future projectsRequirements
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, under tight deadlines, including breaking news
- Must be willing to work all shifts as required by news and events.
- Must be willing to work in Washington, D.C.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- A Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, Data Visualization, Communications, Journalism or related field or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years of experience producing graphics/data visualizations for digital platforms
- Experience working with a complex Content Management System (CMS) or web-publishing software
- Proficiency with both using charting software such as Datawrapper, and visualization libraries such as D3
- Proficiency with mapping software such as Carto, Leaflet, QGIS
- Proficiency with data analysis software such as Excel, Open Refine
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, and basic design principles such as color, typography, hierarchy.
- Experience with back-end languages and libraries such as Python, PHP, node.js, react.js
- Proficient in use of social media
- Strong news and headline writing skills; proficiency in AP writing style
- Outstanding communication skills
- Exceptional editorial skills: Ability to recognize stories with high potential for digital attention
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.