- Full Time
Sarah Lawrence College is looking for an Editorial Director to serve as the College’s “chief storyteller.” This individual will provide strategic oversight and direct and create content for all areas of the College to be delivered to various audiences via channels including web, social media, e-mail, video, and print.
In addition to setting strategy, the Editorial Director is charged with managing and executing projects, researching, writing, and editing content, and forming the relationships necessary to identify content opportunities. This includes forming close working relationships with faculty and staff at all levels of the College. The Editorial Director maintains a top-level knowledge of all channels of distribution available to the College – and establishes new ones – as well as the various audiences the College seeks to reach; with this knowledge, the successful candidate will share the right content with the right people via the right channel(s).
The Editorial Director must possess top-notch communication and storytelling skills and be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously while working collaboratively with different teams in a fast-paced and content-rich environment. Respect for style guides and an eye for detail to ensure consistency is key. A nimble, hands-on approach is required, as this position blends project management with creative work.
- Develop an integrated content strategy and implementation plan that grows and enhances the visibility and overall image of Sarah Lawrence College among students, alumni, community influencers, faculty, and staff, with a particular emphasis on prospective students and their families
- Ensure that all content aligns with and advances the College’s dynamic brand and articulates its values, personality, and visual identity
- Lead the development of dynamic storytelling through editorial/creative writing, video, photography, graphics, and emergent content forms to deliver the most compelling narrative
- Strategically interface with subject-matter experts throughout the College to understand and execute their content needs
- Create and manage content calendar using AirTable
- Manage the day-to-day flow of content across multiple platforms
- Perform content audits, including qualitative and quantitative analysis, and content gap analyses
- Work closely with in-house analytics team to identify and analyze key data points to inform effective content strategies for various audiences
- Direct reports: assistant content team member and editor of Sarah Lawrence magazine; works in close partnership with external affairs/social media team and creative services team
- Facility for technology and ability to learn and use a Content Management System and various social media platforms to disseminate developed content
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, digital media, marketing, or another relevant field; master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of work experience as a content strategist, web content producer/writer, or similar experience in an editorial, brand communications, or marketing role
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience in managing and leading content teams
- Demonstrated success and experience in development and execution of content strategy plans and programs that leverage a range of produced content and variety of owned, paid, and earned platforms
- Knowledgeable about SEO and optimizing content
- Solid project management skills; seamless ability to multitask and juggle tactical project management tasks with creative content execution
- Experience using data to help inform and guide content and marketing strategy
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both in writing and orally
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the institution
- Strong understanding of integrated content ecosystems and how they form user journeys, meet audience needs and build brands
- Multimedia capabilities (video, photography, motion graphics) a plus
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to work after hours and on weekends when appropriate.