Overview: KAAL- TV (abc6NEWS), Rochester, MN, a Hubbard Broadcasting ABC affiliate in Rochester/Austin, Minnesota is looking for a News Director with a history of building great LOCAL news programs built on the basics of original, enterprise reporting, compelling story-telling and fast-paced programs. As the leader of this smaller market, multi-platform operation, the News Director is responsible for leading and managing the planning, production and presentation of news, building on significant market gains. This position is responsible for defining and maintaining ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for broadcast news programs. The successful candidate must build, engage and lead a high performing team and develop the long-term vision of abc6NEWS.
Essential Job Duties:
- Develop and maintain the strategic direction and editorial vision for KAAL (abc6NEWS).
- Collaborate with station leadership team on long-term and short-term objectives, goals and action plans.
- Direct and ensure the vision and mission is understood and embraced by each member of the abc6NEWS team.
- Responsible for overall quality and performance of the station’s news product by critiquing newscasts, discussing observations with leadership and team, sharing constructive input and making changes as necessary.
- Build a great News Department team by placing high priority on recruiting through regional academic and professional networks, comprehensive and on-going training, evaluation and communication with employees.
- Maintain a high degree of journalist proficiency.
- Work with other abc6 department leaders to coordinate efforts, allocate resources, eliminate error and create new initiatives.
- Responsible for all administrative duties associated with running the news organization, including personnel and budgeting.
- Understanding of basic planning and financial management with experience in preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements of the position
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- 5+ years of experience in news operations, preferably in a key leadership role
- Demonstrable knowledge of all phases of a television news operation, including, but not limited to: news reporting and writing, newscast formats, news producing, newsroom organization, and newsgathering technology.
- Dynamic leadership with clear understanding and desire to communicate the vision to the team and all stakeholders.
- Creative and nimble at leading the fast-paced, highly charged, “driven” news environment.
- Basic understanding of newsroom technical operation including ENPS networking, newsroom systems, microwave, satellite and digital technology.
- Knowledge of social media and multiplatform newsgathering.
- Clean driving record for the past 3 years as determined by the Company.