- Full Time
The Center for an Urban Future (CUF), an independent, nonprofit policy think tank focused on expanding economic opportunity in New York City, seeks an Associate Editor to help edit and produce our high-impact policy reports and other publications. The ideal candidate will have exceptional writing and editing skills, an interest in public policy issues, a keen eye for detail, and a passion for New York City. This is an opportunity to immerse in some of the most important issues facing New Yorkers and to help bring accessible, data-backed policy research to life.
CUF sparks policy change in New York by publishing fact-based reports that elevate important and often overlooked issues onto the radar of policymakers and advance practical solutions that strengthen New York and help all New Yorkers participate in the city’s rising prosperity.
The Associate Editor will work closely with the Editorial Director and our research team to ensure that our publications are accurate, accessible, informative, and newsworthy, while providing detailed editorial support from inception to publication. The Associate Editor will be responsible for copy editing and proofreading CUF publications, including policy reports, data briefs, commentaries, and op-eds; tracking and revising production schedules; and working with researchers to develop and revise reporting memos and drafts. The Associate Editor will also contribute writing and research support to a variety of publications and written products, including helping to draft funding proposals, public testimonies, and speeches; creating presentations; ghostwriting op-eds; and drafting sections of CUF reports.
The Associate Editor will take on the following responsibilities:
- Provide editorial support for all written work products, including long-form policy reports, policy briefs, commentaries and op-eds, grant proposals, press releases, and the organization’s e-newsletter. This will include copy editing and proofreading, as well as opportunities for more substantive and developmental editing.
- Research and draft short-form assignments, including ghostwritten opinion pieces, grant proposals, speeches and testimonies, and other publications.
- Work with the Editorial Director to track all deadlines, including research and writing activities, revisions, and production schedules.
- Fact-check publications and written materials.
- Support the production process for all publications, including multiple rounds of production edits to develop print and web products.
- Build webpages for publications using our simple CMS.
- Contribute to the development and editing of written proposals and tailored fundraising pitches.
- Help develop, edit, and produce graphs, tables, charts, and other data visualizations for publication and marketing purposes.
- Maintain CUF’s in-house style guide and ensure that all publications adhere to it.
Qualities & Qualifications
Successful candidates will have the following qualities and qualifications:
- Exceptional editing skills, including the ability to edit for clarity, accuracy, style, tone, and impact
- Excellent writing skills (journalism experience a plus)
- 2+ years of experience editing in a professional setting
- Strong instincts for what’s newsworthy
- A proven ability to juggle multiple deadlines
- Comfortable working with data
- Fluency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (Adobe Creative Suite and basic HTML/CSS a plus)
- Experience in production editing preferred
- Interest in the local policy landscape and a passion for New York City
- A team player who thrives on a challenge