Editor, Art and Editorial
- Full Time
- Reports to: Senior Vice President, Production
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Art and Editorial
- Position classification: Nonexempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Editor on the Art and Editorial team. A successful Editor will be proficient in both copy editing and line editing, to help assure the quality of American Progress’ publications that range from research reports to columns. Working in a fast‐paced, journalistic environment, the Editor works nearly independently in all aspects of the job, including with daily production of the website which will be a focus of this position.
- Independently copy edit and/or line edit American Progress’ products, including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Independently copy edit, post content on, and curate the homepage of AmericanProgress.org, as well as update other American Progress websites.
- Participate in planning and brainstorming of new digital strategies to help elevate CAP products and projects.
- Assist with other organizationwide digital work, including conception and execution of products such as toolkits, interactives, and microsites, as well as storybank efforts.
- Consult regularly with other editors and the Tech team at American Progress to prioritize troubleshooting and structural fixes to American Progress’ websites.
- Maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards, update language guidance, and regularly review the guide for updates and consistency.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications and proactively research ways to make the editorial process more efficient.
- Write headlines, blurbs, and photo captions, and select photos for postings.
- Attend policy team weekly meetings as a representative of the Editorial team.
- Help to onboard new copy editors and be able to explain American Progress processes and editorial guidelines.
- Review or spot-check colleagues’ work as assigned to maintain American Progress standards and accuracy.
- Help with special projects as assigned, such as tracking corrections and style guide research.
- Project manage large, long‐term products, including cross‐team collaborations, with no oversight.
- Work with Senior Vice President, Managing Editor, and Assistant Managing Editor on special projects as assigned, such as annual reports and long‐format products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three or more years of editing experience with a significant online component.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS.
- Experience with WordPress is highly desired.
- Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently, with almost no direction or oversight.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to give authors feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Meticulous organizational skills and strong problem‐solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Proficiency with AP style.
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.