Associate Graphic Designer
- Full Time
- Reports to: Senior Vice President, Production; Art Director
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Art and Editorial
- Position classification: Nonexempt, full time
American Progress is seeking a versatile and creative junior-level Designer to join the Art team. This individual will work as part of a team that creates reports, websites, data visualizations, web graphics, marketing materials, event branding, interactive media, and video storytelling. They will help American Progress communicate progressive ideas and arguments through clear, visually compelling design. The Designer’s primary responsibilities will include wireframing and web page design, as well as layout and production of print publications.
- Develop wireframes, page design mock-ups, and prototypes for websites and web-based interactives.
- Design, lay out, and produce reports and other publications, often including photos and magazine-style visual techniques.
- Work with report authors to create charts, graphs, and other data visualizations from raw data.
- Design branding for products, campaigns, and events.
- Conceive and create graphics for various social media accounts.
- Work with print vendors to produce printed materials for American Progress and ensure that they arrive on schedule.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis.
- Manage print and graphic workflow.
- Attend weekly pitch meetings for design requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major, or at least two years of professional design experience.
- A strong portfolio of design work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Highly creative, versatile, and willing to learn and grow in the job.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with the latest versions of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment, as well as with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Additional experience and proficiency with the following is desirable but not required:
- Statistics/data analysis.
- Advanced data visualization.
- Front-end development.
- Pre-press processes.
- Photography/photo editing.
- Video editing.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.