Senior Editor, Third-Party Content
- Full Time
Law360, a LexisNexis company, is an online newswire for business lawyers that covers major litigation, transactions, and regulatory issues. Founded in 2004 and acquired by LexisNexis in 2012, Law360 is a cutting-edge organization and one of the fastest-growing subscription news services in the U.S. Our subscribers include the largest law firms in the U.S. and around the world, in-house counsel at major corporations, and key decision-makers in the government sector.
We are seeking a senior editor to join our Third-Party Content team in New York City.
The senior editor is responsible for:
- Curating guest sections in multiple newsletters spanning diverse practice specialties
- Searching for sources and networking with attorneys to write guest articles on a daily basis
- Formatting and editing articles for in-house and AP style, structure and logic
- Crafting feature-style headlines and leads that attract the most readers possible without misrepresenting author assertions, opinions, intentions, etc.
- Developing special article series from multiple organizations on a singular theme
- Publishing Q&As and videos
- Executing licensing agreements with guest authors
- Working with other guest editors to improve content/processes
- Ordering guest content in newsletters at end of day as needed
The senior editor also devotes a portion of each day to improving the quality of Law360 guest content. In the interest of making every article we publish the best it can be, this includes:
- Reviewing the team's guest articles for formatting issues, tags, photos, etc.
- Reviewing the team's article heds/ledes for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and tagging elements
- Reviewing the team's article heds/ledes for logic, tone, timeliness, and general reader appeal, and working with other guest editors to resolve these issues
- At least 4 years of experience editing content for Law360 (or comparable editing experience with a news outlet, law firm, or government agency)
- Understanding of legal industry and law firm culture
- Excellent judgment regarding potential news coverage topics and viable guest authors
- Ability to juggle multiple articles spanning diverse legal specialties on a daily basis
- Strong writing and editing skills, and experience crafting headlines and leads
- Ability to quickly synthesize and distill complex legal issues for a corporate law audience
- Ability to consistently follow the news cycle and track issues
- Ability to communicate with authors to resolve editorial problems with logic, tone, structure, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with a small team of editors
- Experience networking with attorney-authors to produce articles is a plus