- Full Time
The Consumer Advice team at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time reporter based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for writing and updating content for the Education section.
In this role, the reporter will spend 50 percent of his or her time focused on the paying for college and graduate school beat, including college savings, financial aid, student loans and scholarships, aimed at an audience of prospective students and their parents. The remaining 50 percent of the reporter’s time will be focused on other broader areas of higher education, as determined by business and editorial needs. This consumer-focused position does not involve breaking news coverage or reporting on education policy.
Working closely with a talented team of in-house editors, reporters and digital producers, this individual will write or update multiple online pieces a week – including reported stories, slideshows and data-driven content – using our internal content management system.
Our online articles, typically between 800-1,100 words, explore education trends, dispel myths and contain actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education. See example coverage of paying for college here. In addition, this individual will contribute content to supplement the online launches of U.S. News’ hallmark rankings, including Best Colleges and Best Graduate Schools.
The ideal candidate will have a background in covering higher education, with preference given to those with experience writing for the web on topics related to paying for school. Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks, are musts.
- Proven writing and editing skills, with a minimum of three years of online reporting experience.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of U.S. higher education, including undergrad and grad financing.
- High comfort level working with data.
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Expertise using AP style.
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small team.
- College degree or equivalent.
Applicants must provide two relevant writing clips in addition to a resume and cover letter.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, dental, vision and a 401(k) plan.