- Full Time
As an integral member of the Brand & Creative team, this person establishes, manages and monitors the Academy’s buying practices and standards for the manufacturing of books and is responsible for controlling the cost of goods sold for these products. You’ll work cross-functionally with editors and managers to ensure books are delivered on time, while maintaining quality and costs controls, and manage the print production process for books from concept through production.
This person is also the hub between the in-house creative team, internal clients and external contractors for project intake, and for organizational digital asset management. You’ll manage traffic and assign project requests by reviewing project scope and prioritizing to efficiently utilize internal and external resources. You’ll coordinate and monitor jobs, resolving conflicts and adjusting priorities to ensure project goals and objectives are met. And you’ll oversee our brand-new enterprise digital asset management (DAM) system by managing project assets and supporting key stakeholders using the DAM system.
• Manage the production and manufacturing of books throughout the production cycle.
- Review designs, specifications and budgets to ensure savings and controls for cost of goods.
- Select, qualify and negotiate contracts with domestic and offshore vendors and contractors.
- Establish and manage production schedules.
- Orchestrate production meetings and provide technical preparation of book products for delivery of files for eBooks.
- Attend press checks.
- Consult with internal legal department to determine proper trademark usage for translated products and supply appropriate files.
• Handle project intake and traffic using our online tracking system to assign projects.
-Review project briefs and timelines.
-Identify and acquire missing information or content.
-Act as a liaison between internal clients and in-house creative team and external contractors when prioritizing and assigning jobs.
- Provide appropriate digital files for basic Word, PDF and logo requests.
• Oversee the ingestion, distribution and categorization of digital assets in our new DAM system.
-Upload and tag assets, including metadata, to ensure efficient and effective search and retrieval.
-Collaborate with and support internal stakeholders to maintain a quality review process and guarantee established categorization is followed.
-Implement workflow and approvals for other stakeholders who upload and use assets within the system.
• 5-7+ years of print production management experience
• 3-5+ years of book production experience including in-plant press approvals and eBook products
• 1+ years of experience with digital asset management systems
• Expert knowledge of offset lithography, both sheet fed and web
• Experience with domestic and offshore press checks
• Experience with estimating and print buying of all production related services
• Knowledge of printing customs and standards, familiarity with DTD, XML, and eBook conversion
• Expert knowledge of book production, desktop publishing, textbook design and typography
• Clear understanding of editorial and design requirements for print and digital delivery
• Experience with scheduling, budgeting, accounting and cost reporting systems
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, In Design, Illustrator & Acrobat)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel & SharePoint)
• Ability to monitor, evaluate and prioritize projects within a high-volume in-house creative department
• Understanding of production work flows for creative teams across multiple touch points
• Clear understanding of digital rights management, digital asset taxonomies metadata standards, usage rights and compliance measures for digital assets
• Flexibility to adapt to changing conditions, with an open and problem-solving mindset
• Persuasive negotiation skills
• Detail oriented with emphasis on accuracy and quality
• Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically, both verbally and in writing
• Ability to effectively collaborate with colleagues individually and in teams across the organization
• Strong knowledge of formulating color palettes
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally (approx. 10-15 business days annually)