- Full Time
The Firewall’s Communications Director will manage and direct the publication’s internal and external communications and public relations, helping establish The Firewall as the leading source for news and analysis about efforts to fix American democracy. He/she will develop communications strategies and media tactics to create brand awareness and build partnerships for The Firewall. He/she will be the primary point of contact for journalists, will aggressively market stories and staff, solicit content from contributors, field questions from reporters, and write and disseminate press releases. The Communications Director will work closely with the Publisher on marketing and advertising activities, and to ensure newsworthy messaging and consistent voice, style and branding.
General & Programmatic Communications
- Build a communications strategy, tactics and materials to promote The Firewall to varying audiences, including the political reform community, the media, policymakers and the general public.
- Develop clear metrics to gauge impact and track results over time to enable modification of activities as necessary — including earned media, promotional campaigns and more.
- Support the Publisher in building a stable of opinion writers to contribute to The Firewall.
- Prepare communications materials, including marketing materials and speechwriting
- Arranges public appearances — including talking points — for senior team and reporters
- Ensures brand message is consistent, timely and relevant
- Identifies opportunities and executes on marketing campaigns
- Helps prepare for project launches
- Keep up-to-date through news and meetings with all issues that affect The Firewall
- Helps manage content on The Firewall’s social media platforms
- Cultivates relationships and leads outreach with reporters, editors and producers to promote The Firewall’s content for additional coverage
- Recommends opportunities for media partnerships and works with the Publisher to build those partnerships
- Responds to press inquiries, providing research, background, talking points, quotes and connections to The Firewall staff for interviews
- Speaks to press on the record when necessary
- Monitors and documents media mentions of The Firewall
- Trains newsroom staff on media interviews best practices
- Trains organization in communications best-practices
- 5-10 years experience in communications and press
- Excellent writing skills for diverse audiences: the media; the public; policy professionals
- Excellent detail-oriented project management
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter
- Strong writing, editing, pitching and proofreading skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Excellent marketing skills
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Superior project management and time management skills
- High capacity to work under pressure, under deadline, and think quickly on your feet.
- Strong judgment on what kinds of tactics and campaigns will attract positive media attention
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
- Understanding of money-in-politics, redistricting and government ethics issues — and the political reform community — preferred
The Firewall provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity and expression, status as a veteran, national origin, age or disability.
How to Apply
Email a single pdf that contains your resume, a cover letter with salary expectations, and writing samples . Please include “Communications Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, we will unfortunately not be able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. No phone calls please.