Senior Staff Writer
- Full Time
The Firewall, a new nonprofit news site dedicated to covering efforts to improve American democracy, is seeking an energetic, self-motivated senior staff writer to report on money in politics, redistricting, voting rights, government ethics and other issues challenging functional governments in Washington and across the country. The senior staff writer’s reporting will help establish The Firewall as the leading source of all coverage of political reform. The senior staff writer employs superior reporting and writing skills, demonstrates expertise in the subject matter, conducts in-depth and at times investigative reporting, and serves as a mentor to other staff writers. The senior staff writer may occasionally fill in for the editor-in-chief. The senior staff writer will also promote his/her work through personal social media channels and through company social media channels, and will be available to represent The Firewall through speaking engagements.
- Research, report and write about a beat, as assigned or approved by the editor-in-chief.
- Write clearly and intelligently for a diverse audience of political reform activists, the media, policymakers and the general public
- Provide guidance to other reporters
- Become an expert in the issues we are covering
- Report with accuracy
- Evaluate performance and prioritize ideas through analysis of digital traffic
- Develop and cater to an influential social media following
- Develop sources and relationships within the reform community
- Speak on panels and at conferences relevant to The Firewall subject matter
- 7-10 years of experience reporting on government, political reform or related industries
- Excellent interviewing, reporting and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- High capacity to work under deadline
- Strong news judgement
- Active social media presence
- Self motivated with a positive and professional approach
- Familiarity with political reform community preferred
- Ability to shoot and edit digital video a plus
The Firewall provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity and expression, status as a veteran, national origin, age or disability.
How to Apply
Email a single pdf that includes your resume, a cover letter with salary expectations, and reporting samples. Please include “Senior Staff Writer” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, we will unfortunately not be able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. No phone calls please.
Apply for Senior Staff Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly