- Full Time
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
Responsible for producing a daily newscast that includes local breaking news coverage, compelling storytelling, digital integration and stories of interest to the PIX11 viewers.Responsibilities
- Prepares a broadcast that reflects the news philosophy and strategy of news management. The program includes the top stories of the day and utilizes all of the production tools available to the news department.
- Coordinates with the studio director to control the news broadcast from start-to-finish when it is on the air.
- Keeps all essential personnel, including the anchor team, the studio director and technical/production crew updated, especially when there are changes in or additions to the program.
- Participates in daily meetings where decisions are made on which stories will be covered that day.
- Monitors the progress of assigned stories; consults with reporters on best way to showcase their reports (i.e. package, live from-the-scene report, etc.); proofreads lead ins to reporters packages.
- Assigns stories to writers, gives specific instructions and proofreads and edits copy to ensure it is factual, balanced, complete, clear and concise.
- Monitors the news wires throughout the day and reads local newspapersWrites stories and news teases.
- Assists executive producer or managing editor in reading reporter scripts to make sure they are factual, balanced, clear and visually appropriate.
- Assists in the selection of the most visually interesting video for the open of the broadcast.
- Monitors incoming affiliate feeds on a daily basis.
- Participates in the development and the selection of graphics for broadcast.
- May have to produce other news programs as assigned.
- Participates in the developing coverage plans for special news events.
- Works closely with digital team to make sure the newscast includes digital/social integration.
- Posts content to the web and social media
- Logs video when necessary.
- May temporarily have assumed the responsibility of on-duty manager.
- College degree or sufficient maturity preferred.
- Prefer minimum 3-5 years experience producing a newscast at a commercial television station in medium to large market
- Working familiarity with ENG (Electronic News Gathering) and SNG (Satellite News Gathering) operations.
- Effective writing skills.
- Competent Final Cut Pro skills
- Good organizational skills.
- Good communicator, both orally and written.
- Stays informed on current affairs.
- Can perform duties and make decisions under extreme pressure.
- May be required to work additional hours and shifts