Senior Editor, YA
- Full Time
School Library Journal (SLJ), the leading media brand serving school and public youth services librarians through its digital platform at slj.com and flagship print magazine, seeks a Senior Editor, YA. This editor will be responsible for assigning and editing reviews of young adult(YA)/teen fiction for print and online; selecting and producing author interviews, booklists, and other related coverage; planning and executing live and virtual events related to YA literature and publishing; helping support SLJ’s social media presence; and serving as the editor for the tri-monthly “Be Teen” e-newsletter.
- Recruiting and working closely with YA reviewers, contributors, and freelancers
- Keeping abreast of the latest trends and developments in YA publishing, with an eye toward contributing ideas for new and expanding areas of coverage
- Assigning approximately 75 reviews each month, participating in monthly book review meetings, and helping to select the starred reviews and best books of the year
- Representing SLJ at live and virtual events such as webcasts and conferences
- Contributing to the program development and planning of various live and/or virtual events, including serving as the lead editor of the annual SLJTeen Live! virtual conference
- Writing and/or editing news and feature stories as assigned
- Being SLJ’s resident expert on all things YA, and serving as an industry thought leader on literature and library services to teens
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a minimum of five years editorial experience, with a keen understanding of publishing, public and/or school libraries, and library practices
- Have a broad and deep knowledge of YA literature
- Be energized by a fast-paced, demanding work environment, and able to juggle a variety of competing deadlines
- Maintain meticulous attention to detail
- Understand and be able to recognize and evaluate literature and media for stereotypes and bias
- Be an exceptional communicator and proactive team member
- MLIS and/or library experience preferred
The Senior Editor, YA, will report to the Reviews Director and work closely with the reviews team members, in addition to the news and production teams. Familiarity with Adobe InCopy, Google docs, web publishing platforms, and social media a plus.
School Library Journal is a Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.