MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
- Full Time
About Us: Established in 2013 by Mary Ryan and Jeffrey Lee, RYAN LEE Gallery is expanding and growing our team. We are home to a dynamic roster of international contemporary artists working in a diverse array of media. A champion of both established and emerging artists, RYAN LEE Gallery is committed to presenting innovative and pioneering exhibitions across the spectrum of contemporary art practices. The gallery works with leading museum curators, scholars and collectors to further promote and expand the visibility for its artists through gallery and museum exhibitions, biennales and art fairs.
Position Summary: The Marketing & Communications Director will work closely with our sales team and external vendors to build brand awareness; drive traffic to the gallery, art fairs and the website; and, continually cultivate prospect and client relationships through a variety of events and digital marketing platforms. The Director will be responsible for a variety of marketing channels including online advertising, email marketing, events, strategic partnerships, social media; and print and electronic media relations.
What you need to succeed in this position:
- Ensure that the brand position in the market is aligned with the strategic goals of the business;
- Must have a keen understanding of resource allocation and measuring the return on investment;
- Excellent communication, regular reporting and a close, working relationships with the Partners and the team.
Contribution to Corporate Strategy:
- Develop plans to grow sales revenue by client relationships.
- Open new channels of communication and experiential engagement with curators, collectors and the general public.
- Ensure a seamless branded experience in the gallery, at off site events, and online.
- Respond pro-actively to opportunities that reach artists, curators, clients and the media;
- Participate in strategic planning and staff meetings. Make company-wide recommendations with data to support conclusions;
- Remain visible at art fairs, gallery and museum openings, studios and social events to (1) represent the gallery; (2) gather market information; and (3) continually cultivate personal relationships with clients, advisors, curators and the media.
- Identify prospect and client touch points that result in sales and look for opportunities to reach a larger market;
- Ensure all communications and marketing initiatives re-enforce our values and deliver key brand messages to the right constituencies;
- Develop annual marketing and communications plan and budget; identify key growth areas/savings;
- Implement a client segmentation strategy using ArtBase
- Re-visit all of our current marketing activities—from openings, newsletters, dinners, studio visits, previews, gifts, website copy and images, email and social campaigns-- to establish quantifiable goals (ROI) and track results on a monthly basis;
- Increase engagement on our Instagram and Facebook accounts
- Create DIY video content to enhance engagement on website and IG;
- Carefully orchestrate email and newsletter campaigns
- Coordinate with the Sales team to utilize the database
- Identify RYAN LEE’s infrastructure needs in order to grow brand awareness/penetration;
- Secure strategic partnerships that build strong brand associations.
- Work with external consultants to develop relevant story ideas, pitches, and press releases;
- Respond to media requests for information and images (maintain images, credit lines and captions on share drive);
- Maintain press packets on select artists;
- Update the news section with recent media coverage;
- Respond to requests for reproduction as per the gallery guidelines;
- Write wall label copy for art fairs and preview PDFs;
- Self-discipline and organizational skills.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Creative problem solving.
- Consistency and reliability.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Consistent and accurate reporting to ensure transparency at every appropriate level.
- Constantly re-enforce the gallery values and model a professional way of working.
Must be available for gallery openings, art fairs and other events as needed, which may take place over weekends or fall outside normal gallery hours, and may include travel.
Bachelor’s degree required. Art history or marketing concentration preferred. 5-7+ years in digital marketing and/or communications role. Proficiency in MS Office, Filemaker database, and project management software. Additional languages a plus.