HBO Broadcast Installation Technician (Temporary)
To implement Engineering Design Department drawings, from environment preparation through final cable dress as directed by supervisory personnel.
- Encompassing multiple disciplines and procedures you will be expected to terminate, test and install an assortment of broadcast, data, control and fiber optic cable. Install cabling in overhead and below floor cable troughs.
- Connect the cabling on prescribed equipment/locations following schematic drawings and dress the cables in racks and channels using cable management tools to the department’s standards and specifications.
- Install fiber optic cable using prescribed industry standard techniques for handling and installation in the field.
- Fusion splice fiber optic cable ends onto backbone fiber installations, prepare and install enclosures, properly protect and distribute fiber into enclosures.
- Install local fiber optic patch cable from servers and/or storage devices to fiber optic patch panel interfaces.
- Install electronic equipment in racks using rack elevation drawings.
- Install (lift, carry and put into proper place) racks, bases and cable channels into controlled on-air environments using floor plan drawings.
- Follow shop drawings to fabricate interface and chassis panels, read and understand schematic drawings to fabricate user-interface components for alarm monitoring and take back-up switches.
- Maintain shop inventory of electronic, electrical and mechanical parts and supplies.
- Send and receive corporate e-mail with MS-Outlook, occasionally prepare documents in MS-Word or Excel and have an understanding of PC use and concepts.
- An understanding of basic electronic theory and concepts.
- Ability to read, comprehend and implement schematic drawings for chassis panel fabrication and/or modification.
- The ability to read floor plans and schematic drawings as they relate to rack placement, signal flow, cable placement, equipment elevation and interconnects.
- The ability to work under pressure with deadlines and to work overtime. Familiarity with broadcast and data communication connectors and cable including but not limited to, RJ-11, RJ-45, BNC, F, N, SMA, AMP, Data, VGA, DVI, RG-6, RG-11, control, Category 5/5e/6 ethernet and heliax.
- Experience with fiber optic cable/connector fusion technology is a plus.
- Knowledge of the use and care of Sumitomo Electronics Fiber Optic Fusion Splicer including the skill set required to fusion splice fiber optic connectors onto backbone fiber installations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required with the ability to work closely with others in a team environment.
- A motivated self-starter with problem solving skills able to work unsupervised after instruction in somewhat constrained areas.
- A willingness to learn new skills and stay current with broadcast technology trends.
- Familiarity with several common broadcast equipment types and manufacturers: Grass Valley Routers, Cisco/HP Data switches, Evertz video distribution, frame syncs, E-O/O-E and associated backplanes.
- Good organizational skills to actively maintain shop inventory of all parts, supplies, connectors, terminations, rack panels and cable.
- Ability to lift, carry and put into place, racks, consoles, and heavy equipment up to 50lbs unassisted.
- Familiarity and facility with hand and power tools and the ability to use heavy duty power tools including the band saw, drill press, and grinder safely and effectively.