Regional Sales Manager, Southeast
- Full Time
W.W. Norton, headquartered in New York City, is seeking a Regional Sales Manager to the Southeast Region (currently Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and part of Tennessee). Specific location is flexible, but ideally located in Florida or Atlanta. Regional Managers for the college textbook division at W.W. Norton are responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, developing, supervising, and motivating sales representatives in their respective regions. Ultimately, the goal is to grow revenue for the region. Regional managers serve as role models for the sales representatives in their region and therefore must meet all deadlines and successfully fulfill their managerial responsibilities. Specifically, managers must be able to:
- Promote the company’s advantages and values to qualified job candidates.
- Identify talent.
- Provide firm and positive guidance.
- Work with a wide variety of personalities.
- Determine what motivates each individual in the region.
- Provide verbal and written strategic advice in response to priority situations, and help determine what practices will help a territory grow in revenue.
- Monitor sampling, expense reporting, reporting quotas and qualitative reporting.
- Travel to work with sales representatives in the field.
- Deploy the appropriate resources (expenses, help from specialists, etc) in strategic situations.
- Think creatively about the needs of the region as a whole.
Regional Managers also work closely with the editorial and marketing department and are asked to partner with a marketer to collaborate and provide feedback on marketing campaigns, including marketing literature. This includes:
- Preparing mid-year reports for books in specific disciplines.
- Providing feedback to sales conference 'dry runs'.
- Reviewing discipline-specific sections of the sales representative’s daily planner.
- Providing feedback to marketers’ top priorities in the region.
Regional Managers at Norton meet collectively 2 - 3 times a year to discuss management, marketing, and editorial issues. There are also collaborative projects and ongoing concerns that require a conference call, typically twice a month. Regional Managers are expected to bring forth new ideas and suggest plans for improvement of the overall sales operation.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Eligibility to work in the U.S. for any employer.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly.
- At least five years of successful sales experience in college textbook sales publishing.
- Sales performance across a variety of disciplines.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- A track record of helping and motivating others.
- Evidence of initiative-taking.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Intangibles such as integrity, patience, work ethic, and a positive attitude.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.