- Full Time
The full-time Communications Specialist is responsible for promoting the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) and midwifery by coordinating, implementing, and assessing the organization’s communications strategy. Major activities include handling of all social media accounts and website updates; work related to promoting and marketing the meetings of the organization; promotion of ACNM membership, educational offerings, and advocacy efforts; drafting and sending email communications; writing/editing content for newsletters and meetings; and maintenance of an annual communications calendar. This position requires flexibility, good judgment, the ability to communicate a point of view that accurately represents ACNM, experience updating websites and managing social communications with digital technology, and strong, professional writing/editing skills.
ACNM is EEOC compliant.
- Develops and maintains an organizational annual communications calendar.
- Coordinates requests from all departments to add items to the communications calendar.
Related to Media Relations
- Supports the creation and distribution of ACNM news releases.
- Provides support in maintaining media lists.
Related to ACNM Meetings
- Develops and maintains the Annual Meeting and Midwifery Works! websites.
- Develops PowerPoint “assets” for the annual meeting, drafts scripts for events and sessions, oversees collection and management of scripts before the meeting and during the meeting; works with external meetings management company to do this onsite.
- Implements effective marketing communications for the ACNM Annual Meeting and Midwifery Works! meeting.
- Assists with the organization, collection, and management of content related to the annual meeting.
- Imports accurate information into the annual meeting mobile app, keeping content up-to-date prior to and during the meeting. Designs and pushes out notifications to attendees.
- Performs other annual meeting duties as needed.
Related to ACNM Products and Services
- Develops and implements effective marketing strategies for ACNM products and services including ACNM websites, regional programs, ‘Find a Midwife’ practice locator, and other projects, working in conjunction with other staff and vendors.
- Supports activities of ACNM domestic grants through development of newsletters, tool-kits and other work products.
- Disseminates promotional and educational materials for ACNM’s grants to partners, members, and target populations through email blasts, newsletters, social media venues and educational campaigns.
- Contributes to monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports regarding grant-related activities.
- Provides general support for publications and marketing materials.
- Assists with midwife.org website management as needed.
Related to Social Media and Member Communications
- Oversees ACNM Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube accounts.
- Develops the bi-weekly Midwifery Now e-newsletter, gathering content from all staff.
- Develops and maintains the website for Quickening, ACNM’s online news site. Assists in compiling the “best of” print issues twice/year. Assists with ad sales management.
- Participates in the moderation of ACNM Connect, ACNM’s members-only online community.
- Develops and implements social media campaigns on behalf of ACNM and its members, including National Midwifery Week.
- Integrates social media into ACNM marketing and public relations activities when appropriate.
- Maintains social media contacts and platforms, curates and creates original social media content, including infographics and brief videos, to promote ACNM, midwifery, and ACNM campaigns.
- Manages and executes email and other marketing campaigns, plans or helps to plan campaigns as needed.
- Follows and implements social media best practices; uses analytics to track metrics and improve engagement.
- Assists with proofreading and copy-editing as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field preferred.
- 2+ years of professional communications expertise required.
- Advanced social media expertise required.
- Track record with design of websites required; WordPress knowledge required.
- Knowledge of health care issues is desirable, as is experience in a membership-based organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with tools and technologies to effectively manage projects from start to finish. Must have the ability to handle several projects at once.
- Experience working on projects and events ranging in size and level of detail that require development of integrated communication materials.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to work under pressure.
- Proven track record with deadlines and time management.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, top notch customer service (internal and external) with ability to interact with individuals at all levels.
- Required computer proficiency includes: social media management tools such as Hootsuite, database programs, email marketing systems such as MailChimp, survey software, mid-level knowledge of html and WordPress.
- Experience with Google analytics, Adobe Suite, Canva, photography, and video a plus.
- Situational awareness and ability to be flexible and respond to challenging situations appropriately.
- Works well in a team environment and takes appropriate individual initiative to problem-solve.
- Must be available for approximately 1-2 weeks annual domestic travel.
This position has no direct internal reports. However, the job calls for strong project management and organizational skills, with oversight of many deliverables from other staff members, member volunteers and the Board of Directors. There will be some collaborative planning and allocating of work assignments, in conjunction with employees and their supervisors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to type, finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This position requires occasional packing and moving boxes for conferences and packing boxes that are mailed.
The employee will travel, usually by plane, to meeting locations 1-2 weeks per year.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level and work interruptions in an office space range from low to moderate levels. The physical space is climate controlled and well lit.