- Full Time
Senior Editor for South Carolina Living magazine
South Carolina Living magazine, the Palmetto State’s largest print publication, seeks a can-do journalist to be our new senior editor.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned pro who can generate and write great stories, work with photographers and designers to bring them to fruition, and line edit/coach freelance writers.
Reporting to the Editor, you’ll work hard as part of a small team of talented staffers, freelance contributors and off-site vendors. The job can be demanding, but you’ll have the opportunity to put your stamp on a growing magazine brand—and be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package.
Experience in magazine or newspaper journalism is required. You must love storytelling and be a prolific generator of story ideas that fulfill our two-pronged editorial mission—promote the Palmetto State’s not-for-profit electric cooperatives and celebrate the people, places, food, lifestyle, travel opportunities and culture that make South Carolina such a great place to live, work and play.
The position is full-time. You’ll be based in our offices in Cayce, South Carolina, just across the river from downtown Columbia and the University of South Carolina. It’s Monday–Friday work most of the time, but chasing good stories will require extensive travel within the state, and maybe some night and weekend work.
- With the editor, develop editorial plans for all products under the South Carolina Living brand.
- Serve as the go-to feature writer. Conceive, report and write both feature-length and short-form magazines stories, work with photographers and designers to execute them on deadline.
- Line edit, coach and direct the work of freelance writers to improve copy and presentation of monthly one-page editorial departments for print, web and social media.
- Traffic copy and art to offsite copy-editing, design and pre-press vendors.
- Outstanding reporting, writing and editorial packaging skills.
- Planning, organization and time-management skills.
- Outstanding people skills and the ability to coach freelance contributors to a higher level of performance.
- An understanding and appreciation of the magazine’s role as a communications tool for S.C. electric cooperatives.
South Carolina Living is published 11 times a year by The Electric Cooperatives of South Carolina, Inc., for the member-consumers of the state’s not-for-profit electric cooperatives. Our cooperatives use dedicated pages in each issue to communicate with their members, but the bulk of the magazine—the part you’ll work on—is edited as a premium lifestyle/general-interest book.
Check us out at www.SCLiving.coop, download our contributor guidelines at https://ecscscliving.app.box.com/file/324246151894 and sign up for our email newsletter at www.SCLiving.coop/newsletter. You can explore back issues at www.scliving.coop/archives. For more on the association you’ll be working for, visit www.ecsc.org.
How to apply:
Send a resume, one-page cover letter, three clips and—this is important—three well-developed story ideas you’d like to write for the magazine if hired. Each description should be one or two paragraphs long. Outline the story and how it fits South Carolina Living, the sources you plan to use, your initial art/design/layout concepts, and any web-content or social media extensions that spring to mind.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Seven to 10 years of professional experience as a writer, editor or copy editor. Print magazine or newspaper experience strongly preferred. Experience with a statewide cooperative magazine is ideal.
- Strong reporting, writing and line-editing skills and a command of AP style.
- Ability to work respectfully with coworkers and contributors. We value team members who can communicate and work collaboratively but also execute assignments independently.
- Must live in, or be willing to relocate to, South Carolina, and be available to work in a traditional office setting. This is not a work-at-home position.
Senior Editor Search
South Carolina Living
808 Knox Abbott Drive
Cayce, SC 29033