- Full Time
Bitch Media is a 501(c)(3) feminist nonprofit media organization on a mission to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful feminist response to mainstream media and popular culture.
Founded in 1996, Bitch has grown from an award-winning magazine to a go-to feminist voice in the digital age. Bitch Media is in print with Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture , online at bitchmedia.org , on the air with our podcasts, Popaganda and Backtalk, on campuses around the world via Bitch on Campus, and is amplifying emerging voices through our quarterly Bitch Media Writing Fellowships.
Bitch is more than a media outlet—we’re a world-changing, movement-making, uncompromising, and diverse community. We produce media that transforms pop culture through the collective strength of our reader-driven community. We strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. Bitch Media has a broad reach, with a community of readers, listeners, and writers from around the globe. We’re community-funded because we believe that there’s no for-profit way to make truly independent, intersectional feminist media.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Bitch Media is a 501(c)(3) organization, and an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental handicap, whistle-blower status, or any other category protected by state or federal law. We are committed to cultivating a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our workplace. All are invited and encouraged to apply.
We are currently seeking to fill the Executive Director position to start in March 2019. Our headquarters are in Portland, Oregon, but we highly encourage applicants from all geographic areas to apply. This position can be remote and will remain open until filled. If you are interested in learning more, we invite you to communicate your interest by forwarding your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . In your cover letter, please specifically address your experience and accomplishments in fundraising and staff management. Applications are due by February 1, 2019.
Overview of the Executive Director position
The Executive Director (ED) bears responsibility for all executive, strategic, programmatic, financial, and management functions of Bitch Media.
The Executive Director reports to Bitch Media’s Board of Directors. The Board sets broad policy and strategic direction, and approves the annual budget. The Executive Director works closely with the board on strategy, policy making, and organizational planning.
The Executive Director serves as a passionate, visionary leader for the organization whose primary charge is to uphold and articulate Bitch Media’s mission and vision to both internal and external audiences.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
1. Establishing strategic and programmatic direction for the organization.
○ Create and execute strategic plans in partnership with the Board of Directors
○ Execute a successful and diversified fundraising strategy to grow the organization with the participation supported by key staff and Board of Directors
○ Cultivate and deepen relationships with individual donors
○ Manage organizational efficiency and strengthen infrastructure for growth
○ Identify future program directions, new opportunities, and innovative strategies to serve Bitch Media’s mission
2. Strengthening Bitch Media’s leadership position in the feminist media movement.
○ Forge collaborative partnerships in the feminist media movement, building and maintaining relationships with media, feminist and social justice leaders
○ Raise the profile, reputation, and visibility of Bitch Media
○ Serve as the public face of the organization by attending conferences and participating in speaking engagements
3. Providing effective management, guidance, and mentoring to empower a dedicated team of staff.
○ Inspire and motivate staff and volunteers to be creative and innovative; support them to explore new and different approaches and resources.
○ Foster an organizational culture that celebrates success, honors diversity, strives for excellence, focuses on sustainable growth, seeks continuous improvement, and learns from mistakes.
● 5 - 7 years of experience working with media, social justice, activist, philanthropic, or political organizations
● Demonstrated understanding of media landscape and climate
● Demonstrated track-record of successful fundraising and donor development, and nonprofit financial management
● Demonstrated ability to lead onsite as well as virtual/remote teams
● Commitment to working collaboratively with the Board of Directors
● Excellent oral and written communications as well as presentation skills
● Willingness to travel, as appropriate
Position salary and benefits
Full-time, exempt salary $70,000 - $85,000, depending on experience.
● Fully covered health and dental insurance
● Flexible health spending plan
● Employee wellness program
● Paid vacation and sick time
● 401k with employer matching