Data Scientist, Applied Analytics
- Full Time
As an Applied Data Scientist within Analytics, this individual will be responsible for the design and execution of analyses that inform content development, scheduling and promotion decisions. The role requires someone who is as comfortable rolling up their sleeves and working with the data in R or SQL as they are in telling a compelling story in PowerPoint This position in partnership with members of the data science and analytic capabilities team identifies opportunities to leverage existing analytic solutions to understand how and why consumers make content choices as well as proposes the development of new content analytic solutions based on the needs of the organization. This individual must be an effective data-centric storyteller adept at influencing stakeholder groups in ways that benefit the overall business.
- Lead and participate in the application of analytic and machine learning approaches to HBO’s understanding of the drivers of content performance to help HBO make smarter decisions in the acquisition, scheduling, and promotion of content
- Mine HBO and other third party data to better understand how consumers make choices with regards to content consumption and how those change based on various factors (including availability, seasonality, promotion etc.)
- Develop compelling data-driven stories to influence key content decisions at all levels within the organization
- Provide analytic consultation on related components of the insights environment including but not limited to audience modeling, promotional effectiveness, consumer engagement, and product optimization.
- Bachelor Degree or higher in quantitative field of study (mathematics, physical sciences, computer science, operations research etc.) from an accredited institution
- Inquisitive, conceptual thinker comfortable working on complex analytic problems related to how, why, when, where and what people choose to watch HBO content
- Must be capable of telling compelling data centric stories that inform key strategic and tactical decisions in content development, scheduling and promotion to varying internal and external stakeholders, of varying seniority
- Prior experience in the application of analytic programming (R or SAS) and SQL in the manipulation of data and execution of analyses preferably in an entertainment or media company
- 1+ years of relevant experience
- Position based in New York or Seattle