Digital Communications Specialist
- Full Time
PERSONNEL STATUS: PIN/ Exempt
DEPARTMENT: University Relations and Marketing
OPEN DATE: January 11, 2019
CLOSING DATE: February 6, 2019 for Best Consideration (Open Until Filled)
Responsibilities: The Digital Communications Specialist will create and manage content for bowiestate.edu and a variety of other digital communications channels to engage various Bowie State University audiences. The position supports the work of the Office of University Relations and Marketing at BSU, and report to the Assistant Director of Public Relations. The successful candidate will work with a dynamic team to gather, curate, write, edit and post a variety of on-brand written content and imagery to the university’s website, social media channels, digital signage and broadcast email. The ideal candidate will possess both exceptional writing and visual skills and have an enthusiasm for new digital communications tools.
Specific Duties Include:
- Gathers information from faculty, staff and students to write creative and compelling content for use across multiple channels, including websites, social media, email, PowerPoint presentations.
- Identify the best content and plan successful communications strategies to include collecting, creating, writing, synthesizing and editing content to promote faculty, students, leadership, events, and academic programs.
- Work collaboratively in a multifunctional team and with campus departments and offices to create effective content and campaigns.
- Act as the primary manager of the university web calendar, homepage and other top-level web content.
- Arrange web copy with other digital content, such as images and video, within BSU’s content management system.
- Organize webpages in a functional, but aesthetically appealing way, that attracts users and encourages them to take action.
- Assembles news content and related assets for weekly campus e-newsletter.
- Collaborate with team to execute multi-channel digital marketing campaigns.
- Participate in the development of online and print products for campus clients (such as e-newsletters, blogs, podcasts, promotional materials, etc.)
- Collaborate with the communications team in the development of an annual editorial calendar and content strategy.
- Manages multiple assignments, producing quality work under tight deadlines.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, or related field required. Minimum five (5) years directly related and progressively responsible work experience in marketing and communications, primarily in digital platforms required. Knowledge and/or experience in higher education, a plus. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of CSS and HTML. Strong knowledge of social media platforms. Demonstrated ability to use new media tools to tell compelling stories. Strong organizational skills and experience in collecting material from multiple sources and producing a variety of digital content. Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with multiple internal and external constituencies, and work as part of a cross-functional team with diverse populations. Demonstrated knowledge of content management systems. Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop. Knowledge of WCAG 2.0 Accessibility standards.
SALARY: $50,000 - $57,000
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to the link provided to apply. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human Resources
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.