Associate Editor - Performance Brands & Partners
- Full Time
Leaf Group is looking for an Associate Editor to help us crush online content creation at our Santa Monica, CA office.
The Associate Editor is responsible for collaborating cross departmentally to help create engaging content and manage content creation initiatives. The ideal candidate should be a proactive self-starter with a keen eye for details, endless sparks of creativity and a passion for learning more about digital new media. This person must have a strong understanding of the online content ecosystem and a strong editorial and writing background.
Our Performance Brands & Partners (PBP) business oversees 55+ of our most promising new web sites. This is an opportunity to not only impact the editorial direction of each site, but also to play a pivotal role in the growth trajectory of the sites.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for an Associate Editor grows with us.
Business Unit Mission:
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach passionate audiences in large and growing lifestyle categories. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service and who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous and open-minded. We encourage all of our employees to learn and grow personally and professionally so they can assume greater responsibilities and advance their careers within the department or within one of our operating businesses. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
You’ll Report To:
- Operations Manager, Media
Works Closely With:
- PBP Editorial Team
- Central Engineering Team
- VP & GM, Media
A typical day as an Associate Editor might include:
- Define editorial direction, update guidelines, source and manage qualified freelance writers and copy editors, oversee content production and perform other duties to support successful creation of high-quality content.
- Identify editorial trends and implement new content strategies. Have a “test and iterate” mindset that will drive you to try multiple tactics to increase all KPIs.
- Research a broad range of subjects to create specialized content requirements for SEO-performance verticals.
- Review, assess and edit articles to ensure content meets quality standards and adheres to voice and style guidelines.
- Perform other editorial tasks and projects as necessary to support business objectives, including writing articles and editing content.
What You Have:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in journalism, English, communications or related field.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of editorial experience, journalism-room or content marketing experience preferred.
- Experience working with and building a brand. Experience creating marketing email campaigns or other forms of performance marketing is a plus.
- Excellent content editing and copy editing skills. Proficient in AP Style and has experience creating editorial calendars and online programming. Technical editing experience a plus.
- Ability to meet competing deadlines across several projects in a fast-paced environment. Ability to pivot and adapt to changing priorities.
- Familiarity with SEO concepts, including the role content creation plays in organic search traffic.
- Knowledge of online metrics and statistics reporting tools such as Google Analytics.
- Basic Photoshop skills a plus.
- Excel skills a plus.
- Strong collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats – no job being too small or too large.
- A willingness to learn and share your knowledge with the team.
What We Have:
- Cool office environment and culture (if we do say so ourselves at our ice cream socials, Thirsty Thursdays, Free Lunch Fridays and all of the other fun activities we gather for)
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art and Society6
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.