Reporter/First Responder I
- Full Time
- Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to report on breaking news.
- Displays ability to remain calm while working under pressure; the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously to meet the needs of platforms.
- Develops and nurtures important sources quickly, building relationships that result in scoops.
- Works quickly to communicate with the Breaking News Team desk staff an assessment of a breaking news scene.
- Works closely with breaking news staff to respond to assignments, but will often be self-directed.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work for all platforms.
- Is flexible in shift starting times and work locations.
- Demonstrates ability to use technology to file content remotely required, including operating a Live U backup o app for live TV coverage, still camera for web/print, smartphone to send still pictures via email to the Breaking News Team, a recorder for interviewing witnesses and authorities, a hand-held scanner to monitor breaking news while out of the office, GPS and paper maps to navigate to scenes quickly.
- Possesses the ability to operate an ENG live truck
- Ability to edit audio and video for presentation on air or online.
- Demonstrates voice/on-air presentation skills for giving initial live reports from the scene for radio and/or TV.
- Geographical knowledge of Dayton streets and Montgomery, Greene, Clark, Preble, Darke, Champaign, Logan, Shelby, Mercer, Miami, Auglaize, Warren, Clinton and Wayne (Ind.) counties.
- Possesses basic understanding of police procedure in Ohio.
- Possesses understanding of access and libel laws in Ohio.
- Possesses basic photography/videography skills or ability to learn them quickly.
- Collaborates effectively with others and communicates in a friendly, productive manner
- Handles other assignments as needed, showing flexibility and adaptability.
- Understands traffic laws and the need to exercise safety in responding to any news scene.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or 1-3 years of professional media experience preferred.
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.