Director of Global Communications
1 day left
- Full Time
The Director of Global Communications is responsible for developing and executing communications strategies that build and protect Duke’s global reputation and tell the story of its outstanding faculty, administration and academic programs, and convey the university’s impact on and contributions to the world.
The ideal candidate is a hands-on accomplished communications professional with exceptional media relations and social media capabilities and experience developing and executing international media relations and profile building for a leading institution.
The Director of Global Communications will work in collaboration with, and serve as a consultant to, colleagues within the Public Affairs and Government Relations division (in which the position is housed) and throughout Duke University and Duke University Health System.
Global Outreach and Reputation Building (60%)
- Help set the strategic direction for Duke’s global reputation and media efforts, including collaborating with university partners and senior leadership to ensure strategies are aligned with organizational objectives.
- Develop and maintain strong, productive relationships with key press and other external stakeholders.
- Act as a liaison for journalists, including fielding requests for Duke experts, coordinating as appropriate with university colleagues.
- Write news releases, media guides, newsletter articles, and other content.
- Build and maintain a strong network of partners across the university.
- Develop relationships with international journalists and influencers, and manage programs to familiarize them with Duke research, expertise and educational programs.
- Identify and facilitate opportunities for Duke faculty to develop and place op-eds internationally.
- Coordinate communications and marketing support for presidential and senior officers’ international travel to create media opportunities and events for select audiences.
- Contribute to the management of Duke’s international social media presence, and identify and evaluate new opportunities to expand the university’s global social media presence.
- Guide Duke’s best practices and implementation of targeting by geography and language spoken on social platforms. Identify opportunities for segmenting Duke’s global audience and translating content into other languages.
- Serve as a member of an International editorial team, including working with colleagues from University Development, Duke Alumni Affairs and the Office of Global Affairs to curate and edit The Blue Note, a monthly newsletter for international alumni.
Global Communications Consultation and Coordination (20%)
- Serve as a university-wide resource for best practices in global communications.
- Evaluate global communications opportunities, activities and needs across the university and Health System.
- Partner with colleagues at Duke Corporate Education, Duke Kunshan University in China and Duke-NUS Medical School in Singapore to identify and act on opportunities for shared media relations, social media and global reputation building activity.
University Brand and Reputation Management (20%)
- Monitor international media and social media activity related to Duke; prepare and distribute summary reports to university community members.
- Oversee systems for tracking international coverage, and work with colleagues to integrate international media coverage into existing media reporting practices at Duke.
- Use research and analytics to guide global communications and engagement strategy. Identify and analyze existing data to inform global media and reputation management activities, and support market research and data collection efforts.
- Participate in Duke’s reputation management team and ONC’s after hours on-call media relations team.
- Extensive international communications and media relations experience. Must have proven experience managing top-tier media relations for leading brand(s) and organizations (corporate, NGO, non-profit, higher education).
- Experience placing op-eds and/or other bylined materials in international publications.
- Demonstrated success building relationships with media and other influencers.
- Strong understanding of the changing media landscape.
- Experience in building and managing media programs that deliver measurable results.
- Experience preparing senior leaders for interviews.
- Conversant in media measurement and analytics.
- Proven ability to think ahead, engage proactively and take initiative.
- Self-starter approach to work and strong problem solver.
- Strategic and execution oriented – must have the ability to deliver high quality initiatives to tight deadlines and on budget, in a high pressure environment.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and experience writing and developing a variety of forms of content including presentations, news releases, fact sheets, talking points and executive briefing documents.
- Enthusiasm for new media platforms, a collaborative spirit and a demonstrated interest in global engagement.
- Portfolio that demonstrates writing and media relations skills (when applying, please attach or include a link to your portfolio or samples of work).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Written and verbal proficiency in at least one foreign language preferred.
This position may require occasional domestic and international travel.
This position includes work that at times takes place after “standard” office hours and on weekends.
Other duties as assigned:
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.