Section | Genre Lead (Music Curation)
- Full Time
What's next in music happens on SoundCloud first. As the world’s largest open audio platform, SoundCloud is powered by a connected community of creators, listeners and curators who share, discover and influence what’s new, now and next in music and audio.
SoundCloud is building a robust in-house curation team to identify, organize and promote the best music from our creator and rights holder communities. We're going to be collecting, curating and distributing SoundCloud's unique catalog in order to build amazing listening experiences for our rapidly growing community.
The basic requirement for the section lead is that you understand the SoundCloud music landscape of specific core genres and/or regions. You are able to vet these assumptions using internal Soundcloud data. And you’re able to articulate this landscape and build a coherent content strategy around this for our users that includes a broad range of curation (track, album, artists and user collections). You will be able to find specific subject matter experts who will execute individual collections based on these focus areas. You will execute this strategy with collections that engender deep user engagement and drive core SoundCloud business goals. And you will measure the performance of this execution weekly using a set of dashboards. You will adjust and iterate based on these learnings.
In the end, the expectation is that you will help us define the future of music culture.
- Identifying the key, top-level focus areas/communities within Soundcloud.
- Using a mix of music knowledge and data to determine the genres, regions, and styes most relevant to SoundCloud users.
- Grouping these clusters into identifiable groups and analyzing how these communities discover and consume music.
- Defining a curation strategy that is appropriate for these communities.
- Understanding the messaging and types of curation that these communities respond to best.
- Translating these into programmatic approaches, franchises and specific pieces of curation content.
- Translating these learnings into a daily, weekly and monthly schedule and cadence.
- Channel (homepage, genre page, e-mail, push, etc) programming.
- Determining how these communities interact with the SoundCloud and working cross-functionally to program the right content to the right person at the right time and place.
- Recruiting key subject matter experts/curators within the genre focus areas/communities.
- Identifying the trusted voices within these communities.
- Translating their expertise into content and programming that drives core business goals.
- Overseeing specific franchise playlist verticals. These verticals will be defined by region and/or content type (e.g., new release vs. catalog) and they will span across genres.
- Tracking against measurable goals for playlists, channels, and sections.
- Communicating with label partner, creator, and user teams, both in terms of what we should program and what we will program.
- A cross-functional (PR/Marketing) resource for articulating the SoundCloud curation strategy.
- Contributing to a section-specific QA/QC process
What You Bring:
- You know and love music. It’s the reason we’re here.
- Basic Google Sheet/ Excel skills.
- Leveraging a bootstrapped suite of tools and CMS.
- Data analysis skills (identifying WoW performance trends, developing performance baselines, and establishing goals).
- Organizing and tracking a variety of cross-functional duties.
- Solid communication skills, with both internal teams and external stakeholders.
- At least 3 years working in music media and/or in the digital music space.
This position will be hired through Third Bridge Creative, the world’s leading music editorial and curation agency. It will be based in New York.
Apply for Section | Genre Lead (Music Curation)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly