Project Manager, Live Local Streaming Initiative (Contractor)
- Full Time
Project Manager, Live Local Streaming Initiative
DEPARTMENT: Station Products & Innovation
STATUS: Full-time/Contract (one-year)
Note: The individual selected for this role will not be directly employed by PBS. The incumbent will be hired by a staffing firm as a contractor under the instruction of and complete work directly for PBS.
PBS is seeking an experienced Project Manager to lead the Live Local Streaming Initiative, launching livestreamed local and national programming via PBS-owned digital distribution products, station-owned digital products, and leading third party virtual multiple video programming distributors (vMVPDs, i.e. - Sling TV, YouTube TV, Direct TV Now, etc).
Reporting to the Senior Director of Station Products & Innovation, the position works with external stakeholders from 160 PBS member stations and an internal cross-functional team at PBS to plan, oversee, and document the Live Local Streaming Initiative, while making sure the scope and direction of the project stays on schedule. Additionally, this position will work closely with the PBS Business Development team to support the negotiation, closing, and ongoing management of distribution agreements with third party vMVPDs by providing insight, status reports, and communication on station readiness and intent to launch.
The ideal Project Manager for this initiative should have technical knowledge of video content distribution and a familiarity with the key roles and responsibilities of personnel and tools in the video content supply chain, i.e. rights administration, CMS administration, product and feed management, etc.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Communicate to stations the strategy and requirements for carriage on all platforms, coordinating with PBS Business Development, Technology & Operations (T&O), and Digital Product when applicable.
- Assess each station’s intention and readiness level to launch a live stream of their linear programming, to include considerations of content rights and programming strategies.
- Develop a benchmark budget that will allow stations to setup and maintain a live stream to multiple platforms, both native and those of third parties. Concurrently, establish and adjust as necessary, a budget for PBS to launch and maintain a national feed that stations can opt to live stream within their DMA with requisite station ID “spots” inserted within.
- Establish a timeline for entire system of stations to launch their local live stream, mapping out milestones for each station as they are categorized into groups dependent on their intentions and capabilities (i.e. station provided broadcast feed with rights management in place, station new programming feed, or national feed with local station branding).
- Lead regular meetings of the station Live Local Streaming Working Committee and the internal Live Local Streaming working committee, providing progress reports on station readiness and launch status, among other updates.
- Produce presentation sessions at PBS Spring 2019 meetings (TechCon, Annual Meeting) providing updates on consumer habits, the vMVPD business models, and any new strategy and live stream carriage requirements.
- For stations opting for a nationally provided feed, coordinate with T&O on the proper setup and rollout process for stations to undertake and/or understand.
Requirements for success:
- 5 years technical project management
- 2 years of direct experience with IT and video distribution technology
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- An equivalent combination of education and experience in broadcast technology and project management may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree
- Coursework or certifications in project management, telecommunications, or broadcasting are preferred
- Strong skills in succinctly and clearly communicating technical information to clients and stakeholders with varying levels of technical expertise
- Strong attention to detail and ability to track many tasks
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to work effectively in a cross-disciplinary team
- Strong customer service commitment
- Understanding of digital television systems, the telecommunications industry
- Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Public media experience a plus
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities