Marketing and Communications Manager, USA
- Full Time
As the National Tourism Agency for Great Britain, VB is one of the preeminent organizations in the industry worldwide. We play a unique role in building England’s tourism product, raising Britain’s profile, increasing the volume and value of tourism exports - and developing the visitor economy.
Please mark applications/cover letter with MBPR.
VisitBritain, the national tourist board for Great Britain, is seeking a full time Marketing and Communications Manager with a black-book of media contacts in the travel and lifestyle industries, heaps of creativity, and a nose for news and sniffing out trends - to increase Britain’s brand profile and general buzz-worthiness amongst US influencers and media.
Based in our mid-town New York City office, this position plays an important role in developing and executing the US marketing and communications plan, including supporting communications across all owned, earned and paid channels, to ultimately increase visits to England, Scotland and Wales.
- Work with the Team to develop and implement annual integrated communications plan for the USA.
- Maintain & engage with a network of key media contacts in the USA to enable delivery of VB’s strategic objectives, proactively pitching key themes & ideas. Ensure all contacts are segmented on a central database.
- Together with the Team, run a programme of journalist, broadcast & influencer visits to the UK with key media partners to generate inspirational coverage of the destination for target customer segments.
- Proactively identify new media and content partners to increase Britain’s profile across key communications channels – including marketing trade, travel trade, business visits and events, consumer and corporate news media.
- Take a multi-platform approach to all projects, ensuring that as many business objectives are being met as possible.
- Organize several desk-side visit meetings in key media markets across the US.
- Organize and manage a variety of events: launches, round-tables, trade shows, etc.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the USA VisitBritain online media centre; produce regular e-communications, press releases and story ideas for key contacts in line with their needs.
- Work closely with the UK tourism industry, building relationships, with major partners in particular – e.g. large hotel chains, airlines or industry associations - encourage and facilitate joint projects and marketing in-kind.
- Cultivate a strong relationship with strategic destination partners (London, Scotland, Wales, English regions), and ensure they are kept fully updated of PR plans.
- With the support of the Intern, ensure that all media coverage is evaluated & coverage highlights are shared with internal and external stakeholders
- Together with the Team, “own” the customer, providing key intelligence & evidence to the rest of the business on who our target customers are in the US and how best to adapt the marketing & communications mix to reach them with relevant content/messaging.
- Working closely with the US Team and the Marketing Team at HQ in London, to ensure world-class delivery across marketing campaigns, projects & collateral. Specifically, provide input, support & guidance for the delivery of tactical & brand marketing activity in the US, including across areas such as media buy, creative, content/messaging, events and evaluation
Cross Government Working:
- Confidently and positively represent VisitBritain within the British Consulate General, New York
- Champion the tourism agenda within the Consulate – ensuring its importance remains seen amongst key stakeholders
- Participate, as needed, in cross-government meetings and share important insights and news with wider North American team
- Participate, as needed in cross-governmental GREAT Britain campaign activity
Financial Budgeting and Control:
- Ensure that all activity is delivered on time and on budget
- Ensure that resources are effectively deployed and constantly monitor value for money
- Ensure all financial & procurement procedures are followed and carefully managed.
Research and Insights:
- Build an intimate knowledge of the marketplace to support regional and global decisions and investments. Ensure that key market insights are communicated to the North American and global teams.
- Build close relationships with colleagues in the region and globally to exchange best practice, innovation, creativity and ensure continuous improvement.
- Maintain a culture of teamwork, achievement, accountability and outcome focus.
- Work with a collaborative team spirit focused on service delivery to both internal and external clients.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years marketing & communications experience, preferably in tourism, with a proven track record of achieving targets and objectives
- Outstanding writing skills across different mediums (including appropriate tone, pitch and accuracy).
- A strong news sense, and an ability to increase ‘Britain’s Buzz’
- An ability to maintain & engage with a network of media contacts in the USA, proactively and successfully pitch key themes & ideas
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills, with experience communicating successfully at all decision making levels
- Stellar US media contacts – travel and lifestyle media as well as relevant influencers (YouTube, Instagram, SnapChat, etc.)
- Good understanding of marketing disciplines, and how to leverage digital channels & platforms to enhance marketing & communications activity. Experience of supporting, delivering & evaluating integrated marketing campaigns
- Event management experience: organizing and executing consumer, media, and B2B events and experience organizing press trips
- Comfortable with data, and an analytical approach to inform activity
- Excellent proficiency across all Microsoft Office applications – esp. PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Word and relevant marketing software
- Good understanding of US market dynamics & culture, including key consumer trends
- Open-minded, upbeat and ‘can-do’ attitude which encourages innovation, embraces change and displays resilience against adversity
- Builds effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Participate fully as a team member in building an atmosphere of openness, honesty, respect, cooperation and fun
- Visible, approachable, accountable and available. Ability to pitch in to get the job done
- Global perspective and experience of dealing with different cultures
- Able to focus on a clear goal in all actions and decisions and openly articulate this to your team colleagues
- Willingness & ability to work occasional evenings and weekends and to travel domestically and to the UK as needed.
- Right to work in the US (permanent residents, US citizens or A2 visa holders only) and valid driver’s license
- Flexibility – ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously
- Good knowledge of Britain’s tourism product and VB’s business
- Degree in Marketing, Communications, PR or Tourism
- Enthusiasm to constantly update skills and knowledge
- A true advocate for Britain