Graphics Editor, Journal Reports
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced Graphics Editor to join an award-winning team of visual journalists to drive innovative storytelling with graphics, interactives and multimedia for print and digital, based in New York.
The graphics editor will be responsible for directing visual stories for Journal Reports, special sections published in print and digital, covering topics such as wealth management, health care, mutual funds and technology. They will also be actively pitching and creating visual stories.
This editor will report to a senior editor in the department and make decisions and recommendations related to coverage priorities and assignments. The job will involve scheduling and running regular brainstorming meetings with reporters and editors, reviewing pitches, and providing ideas, expertise and judgment around which enterprise stories should be assigned for visual stories. The graphics editor will contribute to creating short and long-term news graphics, as well as support senior editors in the department as needed on broader leadership work, such as managing special projects and editing ambitious visual stories.
- Review visual pitches and ideas for a specific bureau or section and use judgment and expertise to decide which should become visual assignments
- Work with reporters to shape ideas into visual opportunities
- Work closely with a supervisor and the broader department to assign stories
- Create enterprise and fast-turnaround visuals for print and digital
- Shape new workflows and processes in a fast-paced, global and cross-platform newsroom
- Create visual stories and contribute to editing graphics
- A minimum of two years of experience in a newsroom, ideally 3-6 years
- A creative vision and willingness to share and collaborate on new ideas
- Expertise with business news graphics, charting and other design and data visualization techniques
- A deep understanding and appreciation of business news and specialized topic areas
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python
- Ability to schedule and run effective meetings in person or remotely
- Ability to prioritize best opportunities for visual stories using judgment based on newsroom and departmental strategy and resources
- Good knowledge of responsive design and best practices for building stories for mobile devices
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines
- Ability to train reporters and editors to learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment
- Excellent communication skills
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 15345