Magazine Editor, Whisky Advocate
- Full Time
Whisky Advocate, a publication of M. Shanken Communications, seeks a highly motivated whisky lover and experienced editor to join the team of our fast-growing consumer whisky magazine. The ideal candidate has a passion, appreciation, and deep knowledge of the world’s whiskies. We don't expect you to be able to recite the exact mashbill of every bourbon; we do expect you to know what a mashbill is, along with the likely components.
In addition, the candidate knows how to deliver compelling service journalism, with particular attention to detail and innovative information packaging. Primary responsibilities are for print, but also span the brand’s full breadth of digital and live events.
Whisky Advocate is the nation’s premiere whisky magazine, with a print circulation of over 100,000 paid subscribers. The brand also encompasses whiskyadvocate.com and a series of signature WhiskyFest events across the U.S. Whisky Advocate has editorial offices in both New York City and Emmaus, Pennsylvania, with flexibility to suit the ideal candidate. However, this is not a work at home position. No exceptions.
- Assist the executive editor with the generation of ideas and content that determine the future editorial path of Whisky Advocate
- Conceive and write both feature and front-of-book magazines stories
- Assign, coach, manage, and edit freelance writers to improve copy and presentation
- Contribute content and editing for whiskyadvocate.com as needed
- Work closely with editors and art director to build dynamic visual communications
- Proofreading, fact-checking, and copyediting as needed
- Blind tasting evaluation of new whisky releases
Required Background and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or English
- Prior print magazine experience
- Ability to multitask and juggle multiple deadlines
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Self-starter with a passion for magazine making
- Work well in a small team environment
- Some assignment travel may be required
The Ideal Candidate Will Also Have:
- Familiarity with the key global whisky producing companies and their brands
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe InCopy
- Prior experience writing about whisky, cocktails and spirits, along with food and/or travel
Please include cover letter, résumé, and a selection of published clips or samples of editorial sections.