Pop Culture Writer - Audience Development
6 days left
We’re looking for quick-thinking, creative digital media writers to publish the most engaging, visual and shareable stories on the web. Somebody who can pitch and write topical stories that hit big on social and drive new audiences to our sites. Somebody who feeds on data, lives for fresh ideas and isn't afraid to pivot quickly to new projects.
We need a funny-but-newsy pop culture writer to contribute stories (and slideshows, and quizzes, and lists) to high-stakes editorial projects, delivering sparkling copy with clicky headlines under tight deadlines.
Our creative team also lives and breathes data, so comfort responding to analytics is key. Experience at a daily publication, using a CMS and photo databases are all a plus.
This is a contract position with full-time hours in our Burbank office, on a central team that provides marketing, editorial, and creative services to the CBSi O&O websites, including: CBS.com, CNET, Gamespot, PopCulture.com and TVGuide.
- Create a consistent stream of engaging, shareable content for our sites and platforms
- Use photo gallery, quiz and short video formats to tell different kinds of stories — and to find traffic, reach, revenue and/or subscribers
- Contribute fresh ideas for features, and be ready to act fast on those approved
- Use traffic numbers and other data to fine-tune ideas and hit goals
- Contribute to regular brainstorms
- Program social content tuned to drive traffic
- Research and clear photos for publication
- Occasionally create gifs, short videos, memes, or other media
2 years of related experience
Editorial — not just social — publishing experience is a must
- Pop culture knowledge: culture, movies, TV, streaming, celebs, viral topics
- Firm grasp of journalistic ethics and strong news judgement
- Writing skills — we will want to see examples of work
- Experience sourcing photos for site / social / video use
- Sense of humor
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Must successfully pass a background check
- Please send resume and links to 2-3 writing samples (can be from smaller publications or personal sites, if those best demonstrate your skill).
In addition, CBS will be guided by applicable federal, state and local laws when considering for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.
Apply for Pop Culture Writer - Audience Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly