ENR California and Northwest editor
- Full Time
Engineering News-Record (ENR), the leading source of news and data for the construction industry for 145+ years, is looking for an experienced editor and journalist to produce its ENR California and ENR Northwest regional editions. The ideal candidate will be based in a large or midsize California or Northwest metropolitan area, such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland or Seattle.
The Regional Editor will work closely with the ENR Deputy Editor, Regions, to produce hard-hitting business stories that will help construction industry professionals gain an edge and do their work more effectively. The editor will serve as an ambassador of the ENR brand.
Experience should include at least five years reporting business news and/or working on the staff of a newspaper, consumer magazine or B2B business journal. Top candidates will have a positive attitude, a passion for business news and a personal curiosity to learn “how things work.” Ability to speak in public, such as at the editorial team’s Best Projects awards events, is required.
Candidates should be comfortable digesting complex technical engineering information and business details into rich story narratives that help general industry and lay readers in their work. Experience in enterprise and data journalism as well as photography and videography is a plus.
Duties include reporting and writing original stories; assigning and editing contributed/freelance stories; gathering photography; writing departments; and working with the ENR art department on layout.
Candidates must demonstrate good news judgment, skill in personal organization and time management, as well as the ability to collaborate efficiently in a team environment under daily, weekly and monthly deadline pressures.
Multimedia skills are required. Applicants should be comfortable producing print news, online stories, editing writers, creating e-newsletters, developing blogs, moderating webinars and attending industry events. Regional travel and even longer trips for special assignments can be expected.
Ability to work in both PC and Mac environment is helpful, as is familiarity with Adobe InCopy or similar basic editing tools and publishing software.
An understanding of construction, engineering, architecture, technology and business management is preferred but not required.
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills for print and digital
- Ability to multitask
- Outstanding time management skills and the ability to work successfully under multiple deadline pressures
- Bachelor's degree and five years of experience in journalism, including online journalism.
- Candidate should be located in California, Oregon or Washington
- Experience covering construction and technology is desirable
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (InCopy, etc.) is a plus
- Work with Deputy Editor, Regions to create, produce and deploy quality editorial content in print and on multiple digital platforms.
- Successfully manage the daily execution of the editorial mission and strategy for ENR California and Northwest.
- Produce error-free, stimulating and thought-provoking content.
- Recruit article content. Utilize contributors when necessary. Ensure all editorial deadlines are met.
- Follow code of ethics and editorial guidelines; maintain journalistic integrity.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Produce (6) print editions per year for ENR California and (2) print editions per year for ENR Northwest.
- Report high-quality construction features, including industry firm profiles, project reports and economic updates.
- Compile and write department pages as needed for each edition, including People, Pulse, Events, City Scoop, Snapshot, etc.
- Coordinate with analytics to create data for regional Top Lists.
- Plan, assign and execute issue content, editorial, photography and cover artwork.
- Assign stories to freelancers and supervise their work, as needed.
- Use AP Style and proofread all editorial pages, including headlines, captions, folio and masthead.
- Cover news and features in your regions for the national publication.
- Write or create original web-exclusive content for website, including but not limited to, weekly news stories.
- Create and deploy ENR California and Northwest eNewsletters.
- Produce editorial multi-media efforts such as videos or podcasts.
- Moderate ENR webinars.
- Execute annual regional Best Projects competition and emcee the awards event