Director Marketing Strategy
- Full Time
Director Marketing Strategy
Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing Strategy, the Director of Marketing Strategy, serves as the lead Marketing Strategist for the designated business and/or academic unit. A strategic-thinker who can translate big-picture marketing vision to implementable operational plans, this individual is a dot-connector who must understand how all of our marketing efforts can work together to build our brand and advance our goals. The Director partners with specific units to write and execute market strategy. Directs a Project Manager and Strategist as they partner with a designated business/academic units and others within MarComm to bring marketing strategies from concept to completion. A modern marketer, this individual thinks in a holistic way and knows how to bring together channel owners, creative producers and communicators together to develop and implement effective marketing campaigns. These campaigns should leverage research insights to drive tangible, measurable results. A problem-solver, the Director ensures dozens of projects stay on-time and on- budget. With an ability to spot and mitigate potential issues, this individual builds and manages relationships and mobilizes resources to meet goals. With a high-degree of emotional-intelligence, the Director ensures their teams are positioned as strategic marketing partners for the assigned business/academic unit. Has a solid understanding for contemporary approaches to brand stewardship.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 7 (seven) years in marketing strategy development.
- Minimum of 4 (four) years leading diverse marketing teams.
- A track record of implementing major national omnichannel marketing campaigns which meet or exceeded stated measurable goals.
- Directs and stewards the overarching marketing priorities strategic plan supporting a business/academic unit.
- Works closely with business/academic unit, team and other marketing teams to ensure effective prioritization and planning annually.
- Makes sure resources are in place to partner with other units to build marketing plans that help them advance their strategic priorities.
- Directs the development of marketing plans and related materials.
- Helps team members trouble-shoot challenges.
- Works with other leaders to ensure marketing programs roll out on time and on budget.
- Serves as lead marketer on special projects as needed.
- Reviews, directs, guides and mentors.
- Attends partner meetings. Ensures teams effectively translate strategy to operations.
- Provides counsel to Sr. Director or Executive Director and collaborates on building a best-in-class marketing operation.
- Stays up-to-date on industry trends.
Job Specific Qualifications:
- A big-picture thinker, is able to connect dots across multiple campaigns to drive an enterprise-level approach to strategic marketing. Deep understanding and experience about brand expression and experience and knows how to bring a brand to life through strategic marketing campaigns.
- A team player. Works collaboratively with diverse groups inside and outside of the University. Experience working in a team-centric operation. Outstanding communication and organizational skills are necessary. This individual must be able to work well with an exceptionally wide range of people including senior executive and administrative staff; deans, faculty; students; media representatives; volunteers and other employees.
- Calm under pressure. Can manage stressful situations in a solution-oriented way with a positive attitude. Comfortable working irregular hours.
- A do-er. Responsible for ensuring dozens of marketing programs and campaigns roll out on-time and on-budget. Excellent management and organizational skills with good attention to detail and follow up, and has a demonstrated ability in managing staff and teams. Must also have the ability to oversee and execute multiple projects simultaneously while working effectively under the pressure of last minute deadlines and changing priorities. Is proactive and takes initiative. Functions effectively, both independently and as a member of a team, with a willingness to assist with routine and last minute projects.
Syracuse University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to equality of opportunity and a diverse work force. Women, military veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.