SuperSummary Managing Editor (Remote)
- Full Time
SuperSummary, a fast-growing literary study guide website, is seeking a seasoned and savvy Managing Editor to lead and grow our content team.
With the help of a distributed team of dozens of freelance writers and editors, SuperSummary currently publishes hundreds of study guides per year. To facilitate creating quality content at scale, our team works within a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment and harnesses the power of data to make better decisions on what to publish. We have ambitious long-term goals, and are looking for someone who can help us increase content production while continuing to improve the quality of our study guides and user experience.
Great perks include flexible hours and working remotely with a team that is passionate about making a positive impact on the lives of millions of students and teachers.
Key responsibilities include:
- Team Management: Hire, train, and manage a large remote team of freelance editors and writers; oversee new writer recruiting
- Editorial Strategy: Monitor content quality, maintain and improve writing manuals and style guides, generate ideas for new content strategies and formats
- Content Operations: Lead efforts to improve our processes around title/topic selection, assignment management, writer retention, and posting/distribution
- Data Analysis: Prepare budgets and forecasts; regularly monitor and analyze performance data to make better strategic and operational decisions
- Product Management: Collaborate on website enhancements; conduct market and user research to identify ways to improve our offerings
Our ideal candidate for this role is someone with a passion for literary analysis who has previously worked as a Senior Editor, Senior Content Manager, Managing Editor, or Executive Editor at a digital media or online publishing company.
You’re the right fit if you’re a problem solver who can build, manage, and inspire a team of best-in-class writers and editors. You are highly organized and know your way around an Excel spreadsheet. You have an obsessive eye for detail and copyediting, and can dig into web analytics to make informed decisions. You are brimming with ideas that will help us take our operating processes, content standards, and online platform to the next level as we work to revamp our website in the coming months.
Requirements for this position include:
- 7+ years web editing or content management experience, including hiring and managing writers and editors, maintaining high editorial standards, and spearheading strategic initiatives
- Experience overseeing a high volume of content production and tracking KPIs
- Passion for English literature and online education
- Working knowledge of SEO and web analytics
- High level of comfort working in Excel and doing basic data analysis
Prior experience working with long-form, education-related web content (such as study guides) is a big plus, as is a background or advanced degree in English literature. Experience working remotely with a distributed team is preferred.