Part-Time Interim Copyeditor
- Part Time
Brooklyn Botanic Garden seeks an experienced and efficient copyeditor to ensure that all of the institution’s print and digital content meets the highest standards of accuracy, clarity, and appeal. This is a part-time, seasonal position running through June, 2019. Work will be performed onsite over approximately three days per week, with a specific schedule to be mutually agreed upon.
- Copyedit a variety of materials created by diverse staff throughout the Garden, including educational and interpretive materials; development, membership, and marketing communications; and horticultural projects. Ensure that text adheres to the Garden’s house style and is sensible, accurate, inclusive, and inviting.
- Review all public-facing content for institutional branding, voice, and consistent messaging, bearing in mind the goals and audience of each project.
- Flag or use available references to fact-check questionable information and content that is not original.
- Line edit, edit and/or rewrite, or create new material on occasion.
- Ensure that botanical, scientific, and horticultural content has been reviewed by appropriate staff.
- Proofread all material prior to printing or publishing, including a standard check of design elements.
- Maintain project tracking, using personal judgment in prioritizing deadlines and scope of engagement for each project.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- At least five years’ experience as a copyeditor in magazine or book publishing.
- Excellent editorial and writing skills, with keen eye for detail and nuance.
- Good critical-thinking skill (to recognize inconsistencies) and broad general knowledge of the world (for spotting factual errors).
- Diplomacy for dealing with writers, editors, designers, and production managers.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize projects, balancing striving for perfection with meeting deadlines.
- Specific knowledge about horticulture, gardening, botany, and natural science preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and two references to https://jobs.jobvite.com/bbg/
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.