This position is responsible for the design, documentation, maintenance, and workflow management of the Graphics & Visual Design facilities connected to systems in Stamford, CT. The graphics facilities supplied by the Post Production Operations group includes: On Air Chyron systems, graphics pre-pack workstations, visual design workstations, remote delivery (Chyron Lyric), Mac & PC creation workstations, local network storage, and a collection of render nodes.
Specifically, ongoing maintenance of the NBC Sports/Olympics graphics systems, acting as a liaison between Graphics, Promos, Marketing, Print, and Olympics divisions and the Post Engineering group. As the lead in these areas, Manager would be responsible for executing software updates, patches, maintain plug-ins, and planning annual capital expenditures both short and long term as it applies to Graphics systems.
In addition, this role would be a leader on investigation of new graphics technologies, arranging proof-of-concept, staging test systems, and soliciting vendors to demonstrate new products, solutions, and workflows.
Design and support of systems including larger marquee events like Olympics, Superbowl, or World Cup is also part of this manager’s responsibilities. The ability to design, draw, integrate, budget, and execute graphics systems used on remote sites also critical in this role.
Under this positions’ per view, hands-on knowledge of Graphics technology, render farm construction and management, remote production, remote truck interface, Mac & Adobe creation projects, machine and software maintenance, and file based workflows are also a crucial component of delivery. Experience with machine/server virtualization a plus.
In addition to addressing graphics artists’ needs and concerns, this position will interact daily with a varied client group, including On Air Graphics, Promos, Marketing, Print, and Olympics, NBC Sports.com, Olympics.com, in addition to ad hoc client needs. In addition to daily/weekly tasks, this position will also act as a testing agent for many of the new graphics technologies used for NBC Sports/Olympics.
- Address technical concerns of the following groups - On Air Graphics, Promos, Marketing, Print, and Olympics, NBC Sports.com, Olympics.com
- Design and implement graphics workflows specific to client groups as they apply to file-based workflows, transcoding, and database integration
- Perform routine maintenance on design and on air systems based on a schedule with minimal client downtime based maintenance response times
- Execute as needed drawings and schematics for graphics systems used at the Stamford facility, temporary installations, and at remote sites.
- Research and test equipment and workflows with the Sports & Olympics Engineering group.
- Research new Graphics Technologies, and arrange frequent technology previews for production, for Operators, and for graphics creation teams
- Scheduling and coordination across client groups for equipment installation and personnel
- Turn up and problem escalation: responsible for contacting Operations, escalating to other groups, etc.
- Freelance Staffing coordination and billing
- Budgeting for equipment repair and cyclical replacement/refresh
- Graphics Systems Inventory management
- System Utilization and Financial analysis
- Research & Development for new technologies that can help our clients increase savings, efficiency and production quality
- On-site support for major events
- Minimum 4 years’ experience with:
- Chyron: Mosaic, Lyric, LyricX
- Cinema 4D, Adobe Photoshop, AfterEffects
- Deep knowledge of on-air graphics implementation
- Deep Knowledge of Mac & Adobe workstation maintenance
- Knowledge of shared graphics project environments
- Broad Knowledge of Post Production Audio
- Broad Knowledge of video codecs
- Broad Knowledge of Non Linear edit systems and graphics interaction
- Broad knowledge of baseband video Systems & standards conversion
- Broad and specific knowledge of IT infrastructure
- Understanding of various storage solutions based on SAN & NAS and familiarity with tape backup & restore systems/processes a plus
- Broad knowledge of IT Server technology
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Stamford, CT
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’ s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A good listener with good client skills, cool under pressure.
- Budget, Planning, and Remote experience a plus
- Willing to work long hours and weekends during peak times.
- Willing to travel 20% of the time to various locations
- A fast learner of new workflow and technologies. Needs to thrive in an environment where change is expected and embraced
NBC Olympics, Remotes and Operations
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks.
Sports & Olympics
NBC Sports is synonymous with superior production that elevates the event, broad promotion, and mutually-beneficial partnerships. Known as America’s Olympic Network, NBC has broadcasted 16 Olympic Games including the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, more than any other network. NBC Olympics is also renowned for its award-winning production including more than 90 Emmy Awards. Its ability to amass large audiences with broad promotion, particularly for the Olympics, has resulted in NBC Sports broadcasting nine of the top 10 most-watched events in U.S. television history, including the 2012 London Olympic Games which stands at No. 1 all time with 217 million viewers. In 2009, NBC Sports won the prestigious Peabody Award for its production of the Beijing Games and was named ‘Best in Sports Television’ at the Sports Business Awards.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.