Enrollment Marketing Communications Associate
- Full Time
Title: Enrollment Marketing Communications Associate
Dept: Media and Communications
Reports to: Director of Digital Strategy and Marketing
Internal Contacts: President; Executive Vice President and Provost; Vice President for Media and Communications; Director of Administration and Human Relations; Dean of Enrollment; Director of Digital Strategy and Marketing; Director of Design; Director of Admissions; Graphic Design Associates; Editor (Design Office); Admissions Counselors; Communications Associate; Digital Communications Associate; Faculty; Administrative Departments; students
External Contacts: Press representatives; photographers; videographers; enrollment-related interlocutors, such as youth orchestra leaders, high school guidance counsellors, etc.
Start date: Available Immediately
The Enrollment Marketing Communications Associate will contribute to increasing the visibility of Manhattan School of Music (MSM) as an enrollment destination through content marketing, marketing research, and outreach. The successful candidate will create, produce, and disseminate content with compelling marketing messaging and will identify and connect with marketing “pipelines,” including the press, with targeted materials and follow-up.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Strategy and Marketing and working closely with Admissions counsellors and leadership, the successful candidate will play a meaningful role in helping the Admissions and Media and Communications departments meet annual enrollment goals.
Central to the position will be extensive creation and dissemination of compelling and engaging content. The successful candidate will work closely with Admissions counsellors to produce strategic communications with “calls to action” for social media, emails, the website, and more, with the goal of attracting and retaining applicants during the various stages of the enrollment cycle. Generated content will showcase to both broad and targeted audiences: MSM attributes; key messaging; and high-profile successes of its students, alumni, and faculty.
- Write for website, social media, blogs, email campaigns, newsletters, and letters:
- Responsible for the daily research, writing, production, and dissemination of “Success Stories” showcasing the achievements of MSM students, alumni and faculty: https://www.msmnyc.edu/success-stories/
- Create and execute content strategies for email campaigns designed to retain applicants (e.g. preventing summer melt)
- Select high-quality photos, execute minor photo editing (including adding graphics to prepare them for publication in emails, on the website, or on social media platforms)
- Coordinate photo and video shoots
- Shoot photographs suitable for publishing on social media or the website, as needed
- Shoot and produce video content
- Produce layouts for website pages and email blasts
- Increase the number of blog posts, videos, and social media content related to MSM enrollment messaging
Marketing Outreach and Research
The successful candidate will research and grow the number of new “pipeline” contacts, reaching out to them with enrollment marketing materials and engaging them in all things MSM.
- Identify names and contact information for market outreach:
- Target groups to include high school guidance counsellors, youth orchestras, competition winners, etc.;
- Outreach via email, letters, or phone calls;
- Send materials including flyers, postcards, and posters (created by MSM’s Design Office);
- Follow up for feedback/ engagement.
- Identify, research, and propose new marketing opportunities, strategies, and target groups
- Identify additional communication methods of reaching new target groups, execute outreach, and measure results
- Increase number of visits (tours) to MSM
- Increase the number of requests for information about MSM
Social Media Management
- Oversee the MSM Admissions Facebook page; produce and publish strategic content designed to increase followers and engagement, and drive enrollment
- Produce strategic admissions content for MSM’s Twitter and Instagram feeds
- Generate content campaigns to drive enrollment
“Hometown” Press Outreach
- Secure press coverage in press outlets of the hometowns of accomplished MSM students, by sharing with “local” reporters (nationally and internationally) student awards, high-level performances, recordings, and other success stories (https://www.msmnyc.edu/success-stories/):
- Research and compile outlets and press contacts;
- Direct outreach to editors and reporters’
- Assist reporters by organizing photo shoots and interviews with the students, as needed.
Demonstrated Skills and Experience
- At least two years’ experience in developing marketing and marketing communications for higher education, arts, or non-profit organizations (including direct/ target marketing)
- Exceptionally strong writing, editing, proof-reading, and fact-checking skills
- A demonstrated passion for marketing, a track record of results, and demonstrable skills in effective marketing messaging (ex. an ability to adjust tone and messaging for different platforms and audiences)
- Demonstrated passion for and background in music and education a major plus
- Strong story-telling skills: ability to research and identify stories that support the strategic messaging central to enrollment
- Strong research and interviewing skills
- Good photography and video production skills; knowledge of video editing a plus
- Strong visual, design, and graphic sense (an understanding of what makes an aesthetically powerful photograph, slide show, web page, or email layout).
- Comfortable conducting marketing outreach by phone, letter, email, and in person.
- An ability to write and produce high-quality content under tight deadlines
- Highly organized, punctual, and hard-working with an ability to work occasional evenings or weekends, as needed
- Good time management skills (able to juggle multiple deadlines and projects, and to manage competing priorities); strong initiative
- Knowledge of Slate admissions software a plus
- Knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp, or similar platforms (and a willingness to learn)
- Basic HTML/CSS skills an asset
Please submit with your application:
- a cover letter outlining your suitability to the position;
- a resume (including three professional references);
- details of two marketing initiatives you have executed or been involved in with a description of the results achieved;
- three samples of your writing (blog posts, articles, website content, news releases, etc.);
- four examples of social media posts created by you that had high engagement (likes, shares, comments) or made a tangible impact (increased ticket sales, resulted in multiple requests for information, etc.);
- two examples of photos that you have either taken yourself or identified as effective (please explain your choice to include them);
- links to any short video clips, webpages, and/or newsletters, etc., that you have created.
Please send above-listed application materials and salary expectations
No phone calls please.
Equal employment and equal educational opportunity have been and will continue to be fundamental principles at Manhattan School of Music, where employment and enrollment are based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination or harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Manhattan School of Music does not permit retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice or participate in an investigation.