- Full Time
Position: Product Manager
Reports To: Director of Content Development
Status: Full time, exempt
Location: Brookline, MA
Start date: Immediate
Facing History and Ourselves is an international nonprofit organization that equips educators with the content, skills, and tools to teach middle and high school students about the consequences of racism, antisemitism, and violence.
Who You Are
You are an exceptional manager and collaborator with 5+ years of experience developing products for the middle/high school Social Studies and/or English Language Arts market. You are passionate about our mission and excited to use the humanities to help adolescents practice ethical reflection and become civically engaged. You are a creative and strategic thinker who enjoys working across the whole product development lifecycle. You are experienced developing digital-first products and can provide leadership to a cross-functional team as we expand our platforms and grow the infrastructure necessary to deliver the next generation of Facing History’s products and services. You have demonstrated skills working in collaborative decision-making organizations.
Your knowledge of and curiosity about the educational landscape, on-the-ground needs of educators and students, and trends in ed tech will allow you to oversee a multi-year digital-first product roadmap that supports our growth in the Social Studies and ELA markets.
What You Will Do
As a member of the Global Program team, the Product Manager will play a key role in helping the organization scale its impact and grow its network. In partnership with the Director of Content, you will lead the development and execution of the product roadmap, driving all phases of product planning, including the research process, building the message/case, conceptualizing innovative components, and creating an execution plan —ensuring that we achieve strategic goals for impact while staying on schedule and within budget.
You will work closely with the marketing team to ensure the roadmap ties directly to Facing History’s ladder of educator engagement. You will help cultivate a culture of innovation and experimentation while ensuring that the real-world needs of educators and students are incorporated into our products.
Who We Are
Facing History and Ourselves plays a critical international role in advancing civic engagement and promoting ethical decision-making by developing resources for middle and high school educators, while supporting their growth through online and face-to-face professional development and coaching. The Content Development team is a small but mighty staff with a large reach. Innovative and entrepreneurial, we constantly look for better ways to serve our teachers, our schools, and their students. We work closely with our Program Associates in the field and partner with teachers from across our network to develop materials for the classroom that inspire students to make essential connections between the choices people and governments made in history or literature and the choices we face today.
- 5+ years of experience developing educational products from ideation to deployment, while managing resources and budget, and achieving metrics
- 1-3 years of experience developing rationales/cases for new product development
- Experience coordinating cross-departmental sprint teams and enjoys working in a highly collaborative, cross-functional setting
- Prior experience in doing and managing the “nuts and bolts” of product development is a must: such as planning, mapping to standards, and outlining teacher and student materials; writing, editing, and producing content; planning, spec’ing, and managing design for wireframes and technology features
- Understanding of content management systems, particularly experience migrating legacy content into a new CMS; experience with Drupal preferred
- Working knowledge of instructional design and UX principles, especially in using universal design to enhance accessibility for all users
- Knowledge of US educational landscape is a must; understanding of online learning industry and competitive landscape
- Keen interest in ed tech trends and commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Excellent interpersonal skills that allow learning from and leveraging the experiences of colleagues and the educators we aim to serve
- Strong ability to effectively communicate decisions and issues, to senior managers, staff, and cross-functional teams
- Flexible problem-solver who can work on long-term projects and also respond to unanticipated opportunities
- Creative, dynamic, and inquisitive person who is invested in Facing History’s mission and commitment to intellectual vigor
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted online at careers.facinghistory.org. Job posted until filled.