Production and Business Associate
- Full Time
The Production and Business Associate will support all finance operations and magazine production activities for Foreign Affairs. This is an excellent opportunity to learn multi-platform content production and profit and loss management from the ground up.
As part of a team, reporting to the Circulation Operations Director, he/she will learn how to forecast revenue and expenses for subscriptions, advertising, events, and 3rd party revenue streams, such as apps and content licenses. He/she will play a role in the production of our print and digital products as well as content syndication across 3rd party platforms.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Support the monitoring and forecasting of revenue for the magazine and its ancillary businesses with input from Marketing & Advertising teams
- Track and forecast expenses across the department, including payment of all invoices based on prescribed timelines
- Help evaluate financials to provide recommendations for new business initiatives across circulation, advertising, manufacturing, and distribution
- Support the production of each magazine issue by coordinating with the printer, paper supplier, newsstand distributors, editorial, and advertising departments to generate the production schedule, assemble the print order, and monitor distribution
- Support digital content production for the magazine and ancillary products online, in the Foreign Affairs IOS & Android App as well as content syndication with 3rd parties
- Coordinate permissions, contracts, and approvals for licensing of content in other books, websites, and in the classroom
- Contribute to the execution of innovative marketing and advertising initiatives in the print and digital editions of the magazine.
- Interface with 3rd party vendor relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. business, economics, finance, operations) with high academic achievement
- 1+ years of related experience (e.g. publishing, finance, production or a related industry)
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail; results-oriented self-starter who can work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written communication
- Proven knowledge of and interest in international relations and foreign policy preferred
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
Founded in 1923, Foreign Affairs is the leading magazine for serious discussion of major geopolitical issues in the world today. It features insightful commentary on the international order, political ideologies, economics, and more from renowned experts and thought leaders in their respective fields. Foreign Affairs is the flagship publication for the Council on Foreign Relations, which is a leading independent, national membership organization and nonpartisan center for scholars dedicated to producing and disseminating foreign policy ideas.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.