Director, Marketing & Communications
- Full Time
The Director, Marketing & Communications, runs key strategic projects in marketing, communications and content sharing, and makes a strong contribution to communications strategy, key messages, and more for a national nonprofit. The Director reports to the team’s Managing Director.
The Director plays a senior role in a fast-moving and highly collaborative marketing and communications team. The team leads in producing reports, blogs, stories and more based on our experiences working with clients. The team also is responsible for all marketing and communications activities, including social media, the website, all marketing materials, and more. The Director will take the lead role for the team on some of our more complex projects, often working collaboratively with other departments to distill learnings from their work and to package and share it in a compelling way. They will oversee and/or implement these content-sharing projects from conception to dissemination. They also will work closely with the rest of the marketing and communications team, which operates with a spirit of great collaboration and mutual support. If they have special expertise in an area relevant to the team’s work, they will impart that knowledge to their teammates. They will be a strong voice providing creative and thoughtful input to the head of the team on key messages and communications strategy for both complex projects and the organization overall. They will be a leading proponent of our focus to better connect with a broader audience and will help push forward the organization’s use of multi-media in a strategic way. Overall, they will actively work to increase the reach and effectiveness of our content work, as well as supporting our marketing efforts.
An outstanding writer and strategic thinker, they will quickly and enthusiastically immerse themselves in our content so that they can ably support and promote the nonprofit’s messages and work both internally and externally. They are a strong project manager who effectively and diplomatically manages up, down and across to bring projects to completion. Steeped in current content marketing and communications trends, the Director has a creative and innovative mind that they apply to both individual projects and broader messaging and communications strategy. They are especially skilled at taking complex, sometimes technical content and making it accessible and inviting to a broader audience.
The Director is an exceptionally strong verbal and written communicator who gives clear directions, comfortably gives and receives feedback, and recognizes when it’s important to act decisively and when to take a softer approach. They work well both in a lead project role and as a member of a project team. They are an enthusiastic participant in a collaborative, high-functioning team. The ideal candidate is committed to acting equitably, building and maintaining strong relationships with people across all departments and levels, supporting colleagues unreservedly, and demonstrating a natural curiosity that drives them to learn new things and teach others when they have knowledge to share.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead key content and communications projects and make strong contributions to communications strategy and key messages. Core areas of responsibility:
- Set strategy for and execute complex content/communications projects, often working across departments.
- Strongly contribute to—and sometimes lead—on communications strategies and key messages.
- Write or edit all types of materials, from reports to marketing documents to social media. Skillfully translate complex ideas into clearer language and formats.
- Through demonstration and training, help build the organization’s ability to communicate in a more personable way.
- Bring knowledge of the latest content marketing and communications trends to the team, and help to thoughtfully and strategically apply them.
- Develop and maintain a good working knowledge of the organization’s ever-developing body of content, apprising the team of any key info gleaned.
- Participate enthusiastically as a collaborative member of a high-functioning team, sometimes taking lead on projects and sometimes playing a supportive role.
- Serve as expert and ambassador on our messages and brand, internally and across print, web, email, and social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Requirements for Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years of writing, marketing, or communications experience.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills across various media.
- Experience translating jargon or complex content into broadly accessible language, and using storytelling to do so.
- Experience developing or contributing to communications strategies.
- Proven experience managing complex marketing/communications/knowledge projects.
- Knowledge of current marketing and knowledge-sharing/communications trends, in social media or otherwise.
- Internal and external relationship management experience—successfully managing up and across, as well as vetting and managing consultants or vendors.
- Knowledge of—or strong interest in— how nonprofits work.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills; ability to clearly communicate ideas, directions, goals.
- Familiarity web content management systems, as well as experience with HTML and knowledge of web strategy and design.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking abilities, with strong attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic ‘can-do’ approach and willingness to learn—and teach—new skills.
Specialized Knowledge/Beneficial Skills and Experience:
- Experience with creating short videos.
- Experience developing social media campaigns, or other experience in engaging a community to drive new ideas or change.
- Communications/outreach experience in a nonprofit or other mission-driven organization.
- Visual design knowledge or experience (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Familiarity with Salesforce and project management platforms.
- Ability to manage a project budget.