Location: Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Specific, detailed knowledge and understanding of the Architecture and the components that comprise Calrec Consoles in a multi console Hydra 2 Environment, Adam Intercom systems, RF communications technologies of all kinds with Wysycom and Clearspeak experience in particular. Deep understanding of all audio and communications technologies.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering & Graphics Technologies (VPEGT), the Engineering professional will be working within a team of engineers to provide front line engineering support of all of the technologies that comprise CNBC’s state-of-the-art cable network World Headquarters in Englewood Cliffs as well as its domestic news bureaus and Financial Exchanges. A strong emphasis will be placed on the support of Core Plant technology, complex software systems and related ingest, storage, image manipulation, playout, transcoding and transmission technologies.
The successful candidate will demonstrate proficiency in four key areas:
Deep troubleshooting skill sets, across Broadcast and IT systems
Technical Acumen with a solid hands on foundation/technical background in Television Engineering
Detailed responsibilities include:
Networking and operating system trouble shooting skills in a broadcast video environment are essential.
Macro to micro knowledge set of Plant systems to identify wider implications of proposed system changes
Insure that project’s designs/implementation conform to established plant technical standards and maintain documentation standards
Work closely with the respective managers of the various Technical and Editorial teams to craft innovative and robust solutions to plant issues as well as shaping the technical vision to meet the immediate and future operational requirements of CNBC.Develop deep understanding of operational needs through liaising with operations staff and immersion in the operation’s processes
Assist the VPEGT to develop long and short-term Capital/Expense budgets as well as estimates to support new production initiatives and technology replacement cycles. Assist the VPEGT to identify and implement cost reduction opportunities as well as streamlining non-value added processes.
Assist in tracking of budgets and on time delivery of projects and commitments
Proficiency in AutoCAD
Maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers
Ability to work overnights and weekends as required by Project and Plant support needs
• Knowledge of broadcast television technologies including Analog/SD/HD SDI Video, 5.1 multi-channel audio, Audio/Video/IP signal routers, Control Room facilities, character generators/graphics play out systems, video servers, VTRs, digital compression, satellite and RF systems and broadcast test and measurement equipment. Additionally, knowledge of IP based broadcast systems and the emerging standards as well as the vendor’s products conformance to such standards.
• Knowledge of IT based technologies/processes including Networking, SAN and NAS Storage architectures, asset management systems, server technologies including hardware architectures, real-time systems and custom application development
• Strong understanding of Broadcast Engineering standards and practices including the newly emerged SMPTE standards in support of Video over IP.
• Networking and operating system trouble shooting skills in a broadcast video environment are essential.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience as a Technologist supporting 24x7 Production environment.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience working with IT infrastructure and systems
• Minimum 10 years’ experience with Systems Design work and as well as some degree of Project management experience
• Demonstrated success in leading technical projects to successful conclusions
• High degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently
• Be anxious to develop and advance their skill sets to keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies of our industry.
• Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication and organizational skills.
• Be process-oriented and able to apply structure to complex problems
• Be 'customer'-focused and have the ability to communicate complex concepts to non-technical groups
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Broadcast Engineering or equivalent industry experience
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
With CNBC in the U.S., CNBC in Asia Pacific, CNBC in Europe, Middle East and Africa, CNBC World and CNBC HD, CNBC is the recognized world leader in business news and provides real-time financial market coverage and business information to approximately 371 million homes worldwide, including more than 100 million households in the United States and Canada. CNBC also provides daily business updates to 400 million households across China. The network's 15 live hours a day of business programming in North America (weekdays from 4:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. ET) is produced at CNBC's global headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., and includes reports from CNBC News bureaus worldwide. CNBC at night features a mix of new reality programming, CNBC's highly successful series produced exclusively for CNBC and a number of distinctive in-house documentaries.
CNBC also has a vast portfolio of digital products which deliver real-time financial market news and information across a variety of platforms. These include CNBC.com, the online destination for global business; CNBC PRO, the premium, integrated desktop/mobile service that provides real-time global market data and live access to CNBC global programming; and a suite of CNBC Mobile products including the CNBC Real-Time iPhone and iPad Apps.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.